[ssf] Don't let em bring in the cleansing machines! [1]

2 % human adam at diamat.org.uk
Mon Mar 21 21:37:32 GMT 2005

18/03/05 00:50 Jase wrote:
> ...  We are bonded by laws of state
> rather than laws of friendship in this mobile world. The movement of people,
> within and without the shores of this island, has heralded the dissolving of
> community.

"Here [1] commences the history of the English nation. The history of
the proceeding events is the history of wrongs inflicted and sustained
by various tribes, which indeed all dwelt on English ground, but which
regarded each other with aversion such as has scarcely ever existed
between communities separated by physical barriers.

For even the mutual animosity of countries at war with each other is
languid when compared with the animosity of nations which, morally
separate, are yet locally intermingled. In no country has the enmity of
race been carried farther than England. In no country as that enmity
been completely effaced.

The stages of the process by which the hostile elements were melted down
into one homogeneous mass are not accurately known to us. But it is
certain that, when John became King, the distinction between Saxons and
Normans was strongly marked, and that before the end of the reign of his
grandson it had almost disappeared.

In the time of Richard the First, the ordinary imprecation of a Norman
Gentleman was 'May I become an Englishman !' His ordinary form of
indignant denial was 'Do you take me for an Englishman ?' The decedent
of such a gentleman a hundred years later was proud of the English name."

--
Macaulay

[1] 1066 and all that