[ssf] UN shmoo en

spodulike at freeuk.com spodulike at freeuk.com
Thu Mar 31 10:19:44 BST 2005

What I find interesting is that many economists are now proposing
including things like environmental concerns into market considerations.
So a rainforest will have a particular capitalist 'worth' and so on.
Course it's nothing new and was proposed ages ago, but good the ideas
are finally filtering into mainstream economic theories.

The theories were originally (AFAIK) proposed by a feminist economist
who thought unseen aspects of economies such as the environment and
unpaid carers/mothers and so on should be factored into economic
considerations. It all makes a great deal of sense, sad that from
government to council these ideas are still not really accepted or
appreciated.

If in this country there was a massive investment in forging and
promoting local communities, how much would be saved on state provided
services such as policing and nursery care? I realise you can't always
use economic arguments as justification, at some level society needs to
become less individualistic as well, however I think a central part of
becoming a less consumerist society is to see the resources around us
not in terms of money but in terms of people, and increasing bonds
between neighbours is a way of doing that, "maximising your local
people based resource" etc. It reduces environmental waste as people
can share and re-use. It reduces reliance on bought in services and
encourages sharing of skills. The problem is that because of the mobile
and culturally diverse society we live in there needs to be structures
in place which encourage neighbourhood communication.

Well from my position of complete ignorance that's what I think anyways:
)

Jason

> Just been re-reading the UN's Global Environment Outlook from 2000.
You