[ssf] [sheffield-anti-war-coalition] constitution

Adam Moran adam at diamat.org.uk
Tue Apr 25 18:00:39 BST 2006

no way
======

i worked with a man called Barry, on and off, for a good few years ...
we used to call him in to jobs when we needed some boat-shutters making
... boat-shutters are temporary wooden structures that are used to form
in-situ concrete man hole bases  ... the shutters act as the internal
cast for the concrete ... the concrete is poured, vibrated and in time
sets against the temporary works ... the temporary works are then
removed and the concrete channels are exposed ... the channels connect
the two or more pipes of the manhole

on a road-job down in Shalesmoor, Penistone road, we called in Barry at
the middle of the job ... the beginning of the job was heavy ground
works mainly ... exhuming 140 bodies from st. philip's grave yard and
digging up and tipping a rake of leaking contaminated vessels as we
moved north towards Hillsborough

once we'd excavated the ground works down to road-base level, we started
the over dig to the sewers ... sewers were one of Barry's forte ... the
lads called him sewer-rat most of the time and it didn't worry him much
... he used to eat his snap and smoke in the sewers unless some body had
the good sense to pull him out

during the course of the job Barry fell for a women who ran and co-owned
a busy sandwich shop near-by ... he told me about it when we were
crawling up a sewer near the medico-legal centre ... we were dodging the
colostomy bags and bits of flesh that are particular to that sewer and
the syringes that we found every where along that job ... i was
gob-smacked when he told me he was going ask her to marry him

     "i thought that she had a bloke ?" i said

"she's split up" he replied

     "has tha been seeing her Barry ?" i asked

"i get my snap off her ... and she comes outside for a fag" he replied

     "has she seen thi farm ?" i asked

"have telled her about it and have telled her about mi horses" he replied

     "what fucking horses !" i inquired

     "that nag tha bought from Shally ?"

... me merely parroting a mutual friend's perspective on the quantity
and quality of Barry's 'horses'

"don't be like that" he replied

"... anyway she's coming up to the farm on Friday and staying the
weekend ... she'll see what she'll get before i pop the question"

     "fair enough ... " i replied

     "... let's get on with the job and out of this sewer"

i left it there

they were married in 3 weeks, separated in 6 ... i didn't go to the
wedding; i was busy with other stuff ... any way, i didn't want to
witness any more of the pornographic gossip that had spilled out in to
the site staff especially it being mixed with the alcohol of the
reception party ... i know parties who would label me 'repressed' for
that admission ... in mitigation, i would further admit that, given the
option, my option would be to other stuff instead

i went up to the farm one night to see Barry after they'd split ... he
was correct: she had taken a lot of his furniture, but on the other hand
he had finally completed the internal works of his house ... he had
built the shell some years ago and had moved in as soon as it kept the
rain out

    "wow, Barry ... you've got running water and you've done your
electricals" i quipped

"yeah ... she nagged me in to doing it" he said

-------------

later that night he got blasted and showed me his gun

     "what's that for Barry ?" i said

"am a farmer" he said "have always had a gun"

     "no, i mean '*why* are you showing it to me ?'" i asked

"just so you know what's on my mind" he said

     "fair enough Barry ..." i replied

     "... why don't you put it away and we'll have another drink"

"fair enough" he replied

two weeks later, Barry wanted me to go see her with him ... some kind of
closure i guess ... she said she'd meet him for five minutes outside a
police station provided he brought her some stuff he'd found when
clearing his house ... we were driving up to the meeting and he stopped
the car ... he said:

" ... i think it is only fair to show you this blade"

he then produced an antique bayonet

     "what's that for Barry ? ... and don't tell me it's because th'a
farmer"

"it's for her" he said "she wants it"

    "*why* are you showing it to me ?" i said

    "oh don't bother answering ... let's go and post it to her instead"

"i can't" he said "have arranged to see her and i don't want to stand
her up"

    "why not ?" i replied "she's stud thee up a few times ... she's way
in the lead ... don't be worried about hurting her feelings"

    "oh come on" i continued "there's plenty more fish in the sea"

"you can't fuck fish" said Barry parroting the same friend who had
labeled his 'horses' as that-nag-tha-bought-from-Shally

we didn't go to the meeting in the end ... he kept the bayonet for himself

-------------

a good few months later Barry invites me to the farm again ... he's been
busy making bird tables out in the back and he's had lots of joy selling
them to the garden centres ... when i turn up he makes me admire them
whilst i'm bursting for a pee

after i have confirmed both the quantity and quality of the bird tables,
and praised the said bird tables and assured him yet again of my faith
in his abilities as a joiner, he then began to hurry me in to the house

"come on, come on" he said "Louise is cooking us dinner and we don't
want to be late"

    "who the fuck's Louise Barry ?" ses i

"come on" he laughs "you'll like her"

    "i tend to like everyone eventually ... i may one day like you"

"don't be like that" he laughs "come on, she's a really good cook ...
we're having haddock ... am not eating sarnies any more"

he was correct: i did eventually like her ... it eventually happened in
a few conversations ... the first one at the beginning of the meal as
she started firing a couple of "who the fuck are you" type questions in
my direction ... and the second during the fish when Louise said :

"Barry, you slag *that-women* off but as i've told you before : if it
hadn't been for her, me and you wouldn't be together now ... you're the
best joiner i know but without her you'd have never got your farm
finished ... i wouldn't have lived with you in a building site ... no way"

--

no way : 2 % human