[ssf] FW: Sheff Council care costs rise 165% - protest and meeting

Mr Jase Malgod spodulike at freeuk.com
Fri Feb 17 10:49:21 GMT 2006

Emergency meetings of disabled people are already taking place to discuss a
response to the proposals by Sheffield City Council to increase service
charges by over 150%. See the Sheffield Star article:
http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=58&ArticleID=13515
59

A lobby of Sheffield City Council's Cabinet where decisions will be made
about these proposals has been organized for 1pm next Wednesday the 22nd
February. We will also be carrying out leafleting and work with the press in
the lead up to the Cabinet meeting. People are being asked to send
individual letters to the Sheffield Star and/or telephone radio shows where
phone-in discussions occur, in order to highlight this issue and promote the
lobby.

People can also write to their local councillors and/or to Councillor Mick
Rooney, the Labour group spokesperson for adult services. A planning meeting
to prepare materials for the lobby and discuss the next steps in the
campaign will start at 4pm next Monday the 20th February. It will be held at
the offices of Inclusive Living Sheffield, The Ace Centre, 116 the Wicker.
If anyone is interested in being involved with this work or wants more
details please contact ILS on 0114 275 3014 or Linda/Mike on 0114 225 8676.

Charging disabled and elderly people for getting out of bed in the morning,
getting dressed, going to the toilet, living in a clean environment and
getting meals cooked is wrong and immoral. The Chief Executive of Sheffield
City Council received a huge salary increase last year, whilst disabled
people are 7 times more likely to be unemployed and living on benefits.
Service users in Sheffield are expected to pay for such salary increases and
so the Council can keep down this year's increase in Council Tax.

Disabled people are also being attacked by this Government as it tries to
bully people off Incapacity Benefit and into work.

How can disabled people hold down a job when they cannot afford to pay for
the services they need to get up and out of bed in the morning? How can
people whose benefits are being cut pay these charges?

Now is the time to make a stand and say we will not pay twice for council
services. We already pay council tax. Other people are not expected to pay
twice to have their bins emptied, their roads and sewers maintained, to
borrow books from libraries, etc. so why should disabled people be charged
for going to the toilet.

Please get involved in saying no and making a stand against Sheffield City
Council's latest attack on disabled people. Let us show them that we are
strong, we do matter and we will not allow them to treat us like second
class citizens any longer.

Share this information

Contact us

Get involved