[ssf] Progressive Infantilism

adam bashid adam at diamat.org.uk
Tue Feb 6 11:57:54 GMT 2007

"In fact there is a resilient theme of infantilism throughout the
history of nuclear management. Trinity, the first bomb ( nick-named 'the
Gadget' ), was winched up into position on a contraption known as 'the
cradle'; during the countdown the Los Alamos radio station broadcast a
lullaby, Tchaikovsky's 'Serenade for Strings'; scientists speculated
whether the Gadget was going to be a 'girl' ( i.e. a dud ) or a 'boy' (
i.e. a device that might obliterate New Mexico ).

  The Hiroshima bomb was called Little Boy. 'It's a boy!' pronounced
Edward Teller, the 'father' of the H-bomb, when 'Mike' ( 'my baby' ) was
detonated over Bikini Atoll in 1952 ... It is ironic, because *they* are
the little boys; *we* are the little boys. And the irony has since
redoubled. By threatening extinction, the ultimate anti-personnel device
is in essence an anti-baby device. One is not referring here to the
babies who will die but to the babies who will never be born, those that
are queuing up in the spectral relays until the end of time."

-- Einstein's Monsters :: Martin Amis