[ssf] South London Man in Guantanamo: Shaker Aamer

ruhul ruhul at blink.org.uk
Fri Jun 22 19:17:43 BST 2007

Almost six years in Guantanamo, withour charge or trial and under a
state of torture.

A wife and four children eagerly await his return.

Join us for a conference to mark 2000 days of the existence of
Guantanamo Bay and the ongoing imprisonment of Shaker and others

 SATURDAY 30th JUNE 2007

6pm-8:30pm

Memon Centre,

3 Weir Road,

Balham,

London, SW12 0LT.

 Speakers:

 Johaina Aamer (daughter of Shaker )
 Marium Begg (daughter of Moazzam)
 Moazzam Begg (former Guantanamo detainee, Cageprisoners)
 Gareth Peirce (Birnberg Peirce, lawyer for Guantanamo detainees)
 Bianca Jagger (Human Rights Campaigner)
 Zachary Katznelson (Lawyer for Shaker Aamer, Reprieve)
 Helen Bamber (Co-Founder & Director of the Helen Bamber Foundation)
 Yvonne Ridley (Political Journalist and Campaigner)
 Imam Hafiz Saeed (Father-in-law of Shaker)
 Sarah Teather (Liberal Democrat MP for British resident, Jamil El
Banna)

Plenary session with British Former Guantanamo Detainees

In the summer of 2001 Shaker Aamer, a South London resident, moved
with his British family to Afghanistan to work on a school project
for impoverished children. After the fateful US-led invasion that
same year, Shaker, whilst managing to evacuate his own family, was
captured by bounty-hunters and sold - like hundreds of men fleeing
the war - to American forces .

During his unending incarceration in Kandahar, 'the Dark Prison' and
Guantanamo- without charge or trial, Shaker has been beaten,
shackled, suffocated, force-fed, subjected to sleep deprivation,
denied meaningful familial communication or visits and denied the
right to habeas corpus. He has spent more than a total of three years
in solitary confinement in conditions worse than the USA's infamous
'death rows'. In one of the last heavily censored letters home Shaker
had asked for the right to die.

I am dying here every day, mentally and physically. This is
happening to all of us. We have been ignored, locked up in the middle
of the ocean for years. Rather than humiliate myself, having to beg
for water, I would rather hurry up the process  that is
going to happen anyway.
"I would like to die quietly, by myself. I was once 250 lbs (17 stone
12 lbs). I dropped to 130 lbs (9 stone 4 lbs) in the first hunger
strike. I want to make it easy on everyone. I want no feeding, no
forced tubes, no help, no intensive assisted feeding. This is my
legal right." Shaker Aamer, 2nd November 2005

Join the prestigious panel, including family and friends of Shaker,
to mark over 2000 days since the inception of the world's most
notorious prison camp and call for the return of Shaker to his loved
ones, the youngest of whom he has never even seen.

Free admission but confirmation of attendance will guarantee a seat.

Refreshments will be provided.

 View trailer:http://www.youtube.com/shakeraamer

 Contact: contact at cageprisoners.com
<mailto:contact at cageprisoners.com>