[ssf] Over the Wall

dr black adam at diamat.org.uk
Tue Oct 7 14:55:38 BST 2008

The War and the Destruction of Capital
======================================

Wednesday 1st September 1878 :: The New York Times
http://tinyurl.com/3sqejv [1]

  "It cannot excite our special wonder that the mass of the people find
difficulty in comprehending the principles of finance and the cause of
commercial depression, when those who make high pretensions to
intelligence, and have ample opportunities and study, show an utter
incapacity for dealing with them.

  When members of Congress and prominent political leaders display such
deplorable ignorance and lack of reasoning power, what is to be expected
of those who lay no claims to high mental capacity and have had little
occasion or opportunity for making study of public questions?

  Mr Horace White is neither a member of Congress, nor a political
leader, and, doubtless, on that very account would claim to be free from
the bias to which they are liable, and capable of forming conclusions
more fairly and justly.

  He sets up in some sort as a teacher of the public and a guide for
popular opinion, and has contrived to get his pretensions to a moderate
extent recognized. Until he made an exhibition of himself before the
Hewitt Committee, and publicly insisted upon his ignorance of the very
subject which he professes to have a special study, he stood a tolerable
chance of escaping exposure from any other quarter. But if a man will
insist upon exposing himself, he must be content to accept the judgment
for which he furnishes the material.

  The special point upon which Mr White has given us a text of his
capacity to deal with economical questions is one of the simplest. He
says that not only has the destruction of capital during war nothing to
do with the commercial crisis or its causes, but there was no such
destruction. We had just as much capital when we went in, and lost
nothing by the operation. Thus he disposes of one of the chief arguments
of the advocates of universal peace by showing that war is not expensive
or wasteful, but on the whole rather profitable.

  If capital was destroyed, he says, it must have been either fixed
capital or circulating capital; but we had just as much both in 1865 as
in 1861, therefore there could have been no destruction of either.

  About a million of men were taken from productive labor and employed
for more than four years in killing each other and laying waste a large
portion of the country. In the South enormous quantities of property
were destroyed, and it may be added that any "remarks" at all pertinent
to the question must apply to the whole country and not to the North
alone. One section was utterly impoverished and its industries
paralyzed. Vast amounts of capital were put into munitions of war and
equipment, which were destroyed or rendered useless on the return of peace.

  Provisions and supplies were consumed by the military forces which
were, at least, producing nothing except bloodshed and destruction. Not
far from $5,000,000,000 were expended by the nation and States in this
work, and they were burdened with debts which it will take two
generations to wipe out. And yet Mr White says no capital was destroyed.
Where, then, did it go, and what is it that we incurred this debt for,
which is a mortgage on our prosperity for years to come?

  Suppose it were true, as Mr White says, that we paid the cost of the
war as it went on, and repaired the waste by putting forth new energies
of production, so that at the end there was as much capital on hand as
at the beginning, would that be a proof that there had been no cost, no
expenditure of capital, and no waste? If a man has his buildings and
stock of goods destroyed by fire, and succeeds by superhuman energy and
the utmost use of his credit in replacing them, is that proof that he
has lost nothing? And if he finds himself crippled and embarrassed for
years, have his losses nothing to do with it? Are national debts
profitable acquisitions instead of evidences of capital sunk and
destroyed in war?

  But it is useless to combat such wild absurdities with the weapons of
serious argument. Their bare statement is a sufficient refutation. It is
equivalent to saying that men may leave their farms and workshops and
engage in the business of killing each other and laying waste the
country, may be supplied with costly appliances for the purpose, and
supported in their destructive industry, without any cost or loss to the
people.

  We may borrow from other countries and use up the proceeds, as a
nation we may borrow from our own people the capital they have
accumulated, or are able to accumulate, and sink it in this raging,
devouring gulf of war, and take half a century to produce sufficient
surplus to restore it, with interest, and yet there has been no
destruction of capital.

  Our industries may be stimulated and excited to a feverish energy and
activity to furnish the means of carrying on the war and repairing its
waste while it is in progress and after it is over, and by this abnormal
momentum may come to overstock the market and outrun the demands of
consumers, and yet there has been no waste, and all this has nothing to
do with the crisis and depression that follow.

  The sad thing about this case is the revelation it makes of the
shallowness of those who set themselves up as teachers and guides. When
they succeed in getting any attention as such, what a deplorable lack
there must be in the community of real wisdom on this all-important
subject, and of ability to judge between sense and nonsense when the
finances are in question!

  This general ignorance and lack of judgment is our greatest source of
danger; for the people are not dishonest, but only mistaken and deluded.
They need enlightenment and the teachers are few. They want guidance,
and their guides are blind. The country must be educated, and it is an
imperative duty to expose those who would only lead it further into the
ways of error."

--
[1]
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9A06E2DE153EE73BBC4953DFBF668383669FDE

[2] The Gathering Storm : W.S. Churchill

The multitudes
remained plunged in ignorance
of the simplest economic facts,
and their leaders,