[un/loquer] PocketSpacecraft.com: Mission to the Moon

Helen White helen en pocketspacecraft.com
Vie Jun 28 19:56:42 UTC 2013

Hi,

> Wow, thank you Helen!
> What a fascinating project, thanks for sharing with us.
>
> A question though, when I saw all those CD sized objects being released,
> I thought isn't that just adding up to space junk?
> I am sure you have been thinking of this.

Space junk is a problem in low earth orbit which
is relatively crowded with satellites and so
mainly causes a problems in orbits between
about 350 and 1000km.

We'll be deploying some of the Scout spacecraft
below that to reenter the earths atmosphere
from a special orbit that is designed to fail
safe (i.e. clean up after itself) thanks to
atmospheric drag if something goes wrong.

The rest will go into much higher orbits
and onto the moon where they will then
dispose of themselves safely on the surface.

Hope that answers your question!

pp Helen