[AktiviX] linux publishing tool

Anarcho Babe anarchobabe at fempages.org
Sat Nov 29 14:32:35 UTC 2003

Hia all,

trying to find an alternative for costly QuarkXpress and Adobe Pagemaker
for making fnb flyers, I came across the Linux version Scribus.
However, apart from working fine but being a bit short with documentation,
help files or similar, prints of the produced pdf s under windows show
totally messed up fonts even when I set the default fonts to "Helvetica" or
"Times".

So I just wondered if anybody else has come across a better publishing
programme under Linux, without the fonts incompatilities?
Trying to import the windows fonts failed.

The flyers under Scribus and under QuarkXpress can be found at
http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Local/ImcScotlandOutreach .
The ones from the 24th of november are scribus pdf and the later ones were
made under windows with an ancient QuarkXpress, which crashes as soon as
there are any images included.

Also, inspired by the Open Cd, it would be groovy to have a media-activist
based Open CD, with programmes (and documentation and helpfiles)  which are
usefull particular for indymedia and/or other activists, such like
including audactiy and ReZound as audio tools, maybe cinelerra or another
movie editor, mplayer and moviX for film-and video clips, Abiword for text
editing. And to have a publishing programme,  and maybe bender for 3 D
animations, and gimp for picturediting.

Also I wonder what the policy on new subcribers are-is the list open to
all, or is it by invite? Just wondering how to publicise the list best. Can
people sign up at the website?

cheers Ulla

--
http://www.fempages.org