[AktiviX] Acceptable use policy for lists

mp mp at fsc.cc
Tue Jul 13 12:47:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 11:20, max wrote:
> hi all
>
> > I'm not going to disagree to the AUP as it stands...
> > but .. its rather inflexible
> >
> > personally I find definitions of "radical or progressive nature" difficult
> > and and generally counterproductive.
>>  at the end of the day, if we're prepared to be flexible and tolerant
>>  of each others definitions, but clear that we are mainly there for
>>  'activisty' type things, then i'm cool with any formulation.

We might have to tease the ambiguities out of this situation, though.
What is an activist? If I am writing a PhD thesis that is much about
social movements and also some sort of "internal academic act of
resistance", but also of course a job in a hierarchical institution, am
I then an activist in the sense that I could work on my thesis at
http://wiki.aktivix.org/Research/*username* ?????

> since radical means something different to everyone (for me it means seeking
> to change the fundamental status quo/way of doing things), i'd suggest we
> just delete the examples and the "purely cultural or educational lists" bit.

I agree to deleting that for now, but think that we should also think of
a rewrite that transcends or goes beyond the conventional
cultural/political split!

> > We should eschew such complex linguistic definitions.  I prefer the FOAF
> > protocol.

Might a combination be possible?