[AktiviX-discuss] using ssl with a mac client ('mail')

mp mp at aktivix.org
Fri Sep 26 18:53:24 UTC 2008

hello,

ana wrote:
> Yes,
>
> actually, I now remember that this was my set up with a previous ISP i
> had! they didn't allow secure ssl or tls for smtp so this is exactly
> what i did. i now have a more "standard" set up.
>
> i wouldn't remember how to set it up again tho ... best thing would be
> to ask on irc :)

It is a simpe set up and the web is full of references on how to set up
an SSH tunnel. I also use it for an X11vnc connection to uni, it is very
useful.

In all its simplicity you run this command from the CLI:

ssh -L XXXX:springnight.burngreave.net:25
username at springnight.burngreave.net

where XXXX is the port number which you can choose more or less
arbitrarily, it could be 9998, and "username" is the same as you the one
you use to log in to Horde or Squirrel via the webinterface.

You then specify the SMTP (or rather: the outgoing server) to be:
localhost:9998 (this might be different in Disney Fruit Machines, I
don't know) and then all your emails go through an encrypted connection
to springnight. You can also use GUIs for these matters, such as:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10128 - and here is some more info:
http://www.u.arizona.edu/consult/macx-tunnel.html

The advantage is that it will almost always work, whether you're on wifi
in some cafe or at home or wherever; and I should think it is more secure.