[AktiviX-discuss] using ssl with a mac client ('mail')

maqui maqui at syndicate.org.uk
Fri Sep 26 19:12:45 UTC 2008

Hiya again

Hey, thanks Ian and Ana for such as rapid response!

On Friday, September 26, 2008, at 01:38  am, ana wrote:

> (including maqui because i'm not sure if he's subscribed to this list)

No, I'm not, sorry, I'm a bit overwhelmed with lists already. Besides
my tech non-skills are quite limited i'm afraid, so i guess i couldn't
be of much help in the list. In any case cheers ana for forwarding this.

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Ian Gregory wrote:

>> And a good thing too, otherwise springnight would soon be blacklisted
>> as
>> an open relay. Springnight only accepts email to email addresses it is
>> responsible for, like aktivix ones. It might handle authenticated
>> SMTP,
>> in which case if you want to use it for your outgoing server you will
>> need to configure your system to authenticate with an authorised
>> username and password.

Ok, I don't want to have aktivix blacklisted for nothing!! I've just
had an aktivix account for quite a bit now, and after talking to ana
the other night about the meeting on data retention in Budapest, it
prompted me to think about trying to make my communications a bit more
secure. That's why I tried it, and then mailed this list.

Ana wrote:

> Hang on there - maqi has got an authorised username and password!

Yes I have.

> ... maybe he's not using his username and
> pass for outgoing mail server but then each time he tries, his client
> ("mail" for macs) should warn him that the server is asking for user
> name
> and pass and let him input it?
>
> maqui on the outgoing servers, check that the "properties" of the
> server
> include your user name and pass  i guess ...

Ok, I've just tried that, but didn't work neither. I mean in 'mail's'
preferences I gt the option to select springnight as outgoing serverm,
and then in the option it allows me to input my aktivix username and
password. Then a authentication i got: 'none', 'password', kerberos
version 4, kerberops version 5 (GSSAPI), and 'MD5 Challenge-Response',
so I selected password.

Then it asked me to input my aktivix password again, which i did, and
then I got a message saying: 'The outgoing mail server
"springnight.burngreave.net:maqui" failed to deliver this message. An
error occurred while delivering this message via the SMTP server
"(null)"'

> Ian Gregory wrote:

>  Otherwise you should use your ISP's outgoing server for sending - it
>> will allow you to send email based on the fact that your machine has
>> an
>> IP address assigned to you by your ISP.

Yeah that's what i've been doing for ages, and can keep doing it (this
is how i've sent this email and million others) I guess it was me
reacting to ana's recommendations, which seem logical to me politically
wise.

Ana wrote:

>  ... as long as we use the option to send via TLS or SSL, which is
> what maqui is trying to do.

Yup that's right, but I guess this is probably not one of the more
pressing issues aktivix needs to deal with right now. I just sent my
email as feedback/help sort of thing.

> any more comments welcome of course ...

yup

Thanks again,