[AktiviX-discuss] free social network(s)

ekes ekes at riseup.net
Wed Sep 26 12:32:08 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-26 13:25, flawer wrote:

>> I heard on the grapevine the idea was to re-build lorea without elgg? Is
>> that so? Sounded like one of those big projects...
> nops, the other way round, lorea 1.7.x from elgg was abit forked. the
> plan for the 1.8.x october release is to not be an elgg fork anymore....
> try it at http://dev.lorea.org

Good to hear.

>> group forums as mailing lists (you reply from your email and goes to
>> all),
>> For what it's worth, as ever, this can also be done with Drupal Organic
>> Groups and Mailhandler -
>
> uhm, i forgot, but i wasn't sure about it.... how about 'add friends'
> and mass invite them to group, track their activity? any 'nice' site
> doing that groups and mailhandler i can try testing?

Can't think of a nice one with open access to try that's obvious.
Probably some demo site for openatrium. For more activist open
http://vozmob.net/ actually uses mailhandler for getting the
phone->email gateway messages into, and out of, the website - but it's
not quite the same discussion use case.

Add friends (who don't have accounts on the site yet)
https://drupal.org/project/ucreate and mass invites
https://drupal.org/project/user_import_og For Drupal 7 I think it might
actually be easier, but would have to look.

> apart of integralces.net (it is been designed without using much drupal
> core for an easier federating and migrating of key data to other
> frameworks like i.e. lorea),

I've come across another project that also didn't rely on core for a
similar reason. Then there is CiviCRM which also doesn't. It's a
paradigm I just don't get. I'd be interested to know you're thoughts on
it. For me it seems to take the worst of both worlds. The rigidity of
Drupal without the power. For example if I was looking at federating
data I'd either:
use Drupal and then use http://drupal.org/project/services to allow
access to the data via some standard API and be able to leverage all the
power of stuff like Views to pull this data out of Drupal;
or not Drupal it and write with a framework that doesn't bake in so many
assumptions.

Dunno what you're thoughts are?

Cheers,

ekes