[alt-media-res] Fw: [transmission-discuss] Final Programme for Vxmission gathering

zoe zoe at esemplastic.net
Tue Jan 8 16:37:47 GMT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mick Fuzz" <mickfuzz at rocketmail.com>
To: <transmission-discuss at lists.transmission.cc>
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 4:14 PM
Subject: [transmission-discuss] Final Programme for Vxmission gathering

hi there,

Most of the chat about the vxmission gathing has moved
on to this mailing list.

But I wanted to post the final progamme here. Merijn
is going to print  a few hundred of these to put about
town and for the Video Vortex gathering.

It would be good actually to get merijn who is working
with mute on the screening / agent database project on
this list, and able to update the wiki for this
gathering.

What is the best way to do that? Shall I ask merijn to
try to create an account on the website?

--//--
Please do forward this to people that might want to
come.

There is information in dutch here :
http://transmission.cc/vxmissionnl

niceone
Mick
--//--

Vx:mission - Amsterdam 18, 19, 20th Jan 2008

VX:mission will look at how distribution of Social
Justice Video is happening using Open Sources
technology. It is a chance to find out about existing
distribution projects, get feedback for your own
projects or ideas, find collaborators and scheme about
how best to distribute your video. This is event is
associated with the transmission network for more info
check http://transmission.cc

This gathering is planned in a association with
FlossManuals.net and clearerchannel.org. It has a
focus on how we can better document projects and
user-orientated help.

Opening Event: Friday 18th January -
Time, 18:30 - Cost, Donation
Cameleon Theatre - 3E Kostverlorenkade 35D, 1054,
Amsterdam

Everyone is invited to our opening event which takes
place in the 200 capacity Cameleon theatre.

A night of films and ideas from the world of radical
social justice video. VX:mission is a working
gathering of video activist and open software
technology hackers. We are working together to
increase the noise of social justice video on the
internet and the digital pirate airwaves. Join us on
this night as we bring you videos, news from the
digital underground and a plan to save us from the
corporate digital vaccuum cleaners like YouTube.

    * Introductory short Indymedia films and summary
of Imc-Video situation
    * Demo of Plumi http://www.engagemedia.org and
films from EngageMedia
    * Demo of http://ifiwatch.tv and films from the
Ifiwatch TV network
    * Demo of and Video docs on Floss Manuals and
Films from Clearerchannel.org
    * Demo of VisionTV custom Miro player and
VisononTV films
    * Show in a Box, the Wordpress video blog and
films
    * UK Indymedia films and video activist collective
Reel2Real

Local collectives are invited to add to the programme
please get intouch
vxmission-discuss at lists.transmission.cc

Keep informed and find out full information on the
Transmission Vmission page
http://transmission.cc/vxmission

Locations:
Floss manuals studio, 3E Kostverlorenkade 35D 1054 TS
Ruysdaelstraat squat, Ruysdaelstraat numbers 77 till
89

Saturday Restricted Sessions

Unfortunately spaces are so limited in the venue on
Saturday that we have to prioritise existing members
of the network and the people travelling from other
countries. However we don't want to exclude people who
have a lot to give or learn from these techncal
sessions. So please do get in contact if you want to
attend and we'll try to work something out.

Drupal as a Video Distribution platform:Sat 19th,
10:00, Flossmanuals studio

ifiwatch.tv as examples of Drupal-based Video
distribution sites.

Aggregation tool : http://ifiwatch.tv -  IFIWatch.TV
exists to aggregate independent media on the
International Financial Institutions - that is, on the
World Bank, IMF and Regional Development Banks. This
video portal has lately been redesigned to suck
relevant feeds from online video publishing websites,
display appropriate content and enable users to create
their own feeds from the results of searches for video
that interests them. To reach its full potential as a
new model 'node' in emerging independent media
networks, the system will require more and more feeds
to feature standardised video metadata, so that
content management systems can automatically sort and
present video information in ways that make it easier
for humans to find the media they want. The
Transmission Metadata Standard is now ready to
implement, and we will be promoting this to all who
wish to facilitate more effective exchange of online
video.

Video Upload and Distribution tool :
http://wiki.koumbit.net/FilmForge/ -  FilmForge is a
distribution (or profile) of the Free/Libre Open
Source Software content management system Drupal,
tailored to the needs of video making communities.
FilmForge makes it simple to install and run your own
video sharing site.

DotSub presentation and tactical collaboration: Sat
19th, 11:30, Flossmanuals studio

dotSUB was developed with the specific goal of
enabling anyone, anywhere, who had access to a
browser, and was bi-lingual between any language pair,
to subtitle any film or video from one language into
another language - assuming one has the permission of
the rights holder, or it is in the public domain or
licensed under a CC license.  We wanted the interface
to be as easy to use as the google search bar, and
wanted it to require no previous training, nor any
downloaded clients.  We wanted it to be free to use
(for content that is freely distributed with no
commercial aspirations) and embed and virally
distribute all of the language versions around the web
as streams or mpg4 files in all languages, and wanted
the process to be an open wiki, very much like a
wikipedia for video.  We have been working on the
project now for 4 years, and the use of our tool is
growing at about 15 -20% per month.

Flossmanuals / Video Documentation: Sat 19th, 12:30,
Flossmanuals studio

Presentation Floss manuals system and new Video
related docs on Flossmanuals and Suitcasemanuals.net.
In this session we'll be looking at Floss manuals
system, new video distribution documentation and other
relevant work. FLOSS Manuals provides quality free
manuals about how to use free software.

There are new manuals on Video Encoding, Video
Distribution and DVD / Subtitle creation. We hope that
these will be useful for the Video activist and
independent video production community.

Giss.tv streaming network: Sat 19th, 14:00,
Flossmanuals studio

Presentation: Giss.tv streaming network.

The g.i.s.s. network http://giss.tv/ , an experimental
streaming server
that shapes a ring of servers running an Icecast
branch that allows
server loading, and in which any user can create a
mountpoint and start
streaming, and Theora Streaming Support, a small-quick
graphic
 interface
for dvgrab-ffmpeg2theora-oggfwd in linux:
http://gollum.artefacte.org/tss/, written by
colleagues Lluis Gomez i
Bigorda and Yves Degoyon.

Show in a Box: Sat 19th, 15:00, Flossmanuals studio

Presentation: Show-In-A-Box, Word Press video
distribution system

Many video creators are shy of the web since they want
to make sure their work looks good online.Being
artists ourselves, we know that presentation is very
important. Being media activists, we also know that
using open source tools and sane copyrights are also
important.

WordPress is a fantastic blogging tool and we've been
using it to run videoblogs for a few years now. Over
time we've begun to develop and use some tools that
make WordPress better suited for video. Show-In-A-Box
was created to bring these all together and create the
ultimate videoblogging platform.

http://showinabox.tv/wordpress/about/

We are making custom WP plugins to better manipulate
video. We are also making beautiful, original themes
that better showcase video. We have video tutorials
and a strong community to help guide newbies to
creating their own videoblog to document the world
around us. We'll show lots of awesome examples of what
online video can look like using free and open tools.

Plumi / Plone / Engage media session, Sat 19th, 16:30,
Flossmanuals studio

Plumi is a media specific implementation of the Plone
content management system. It has been driven by the
Engagemedia collective from Australia.

Sunday Public Sessions

Customising Miro Player: Sun 20th, 11:00 am,
Ruysdaelstraat

Presentation: Transmission branded Miro player, and
Visionontv customised Miro player

Collectives are changing the Miro player so that they
can offer a download of the player with their own
channels, search features and other features added.
We'll look at how this is done and what it means to
video networks.

Subtitling Video and the Internet : Sun 20th, 12:00,
Ruysdaelstraat

Presentations Proposal for a activist subtitle website

This session will look at some of the issues and
opportunities facing film makers who can use the
Internet to co-ordinate, create and distribute
subtitle for their films. Specifically this session
will look at plans for an open source DotSub type
library website for for social justice films. We'll
also looking at the functionality of new tools like
G8tv.org and subtitle horse.
http://subtitle-horse.org/

Video.indymedia.org : Sun 20th, 16:30, Ruysdaelstraat

Presentation What is the current situation with
imc-video site.

Followed by a discussion to bring people up to date
with developments concerning a global indymedia video
site. Aims include a reliable upload site, ability to
mirror video content across mulitple servers, more
advanced syndication tools, searching across video
feeds created by regional IMCs and and a YouTube style
embedded video player for videos.

There is a wiki page on this subject on the global
indymedia wiki  -
http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Global/NewVideoIndymediaOrgProposal

Producing Collaborative DVDs for screenings via the
Internet : Sun 20th, 13:00, Ruysdaelstraat

How can we create DVDs in a Decentralised way. Is
there a demand for a European wide DVD of social
justice events to be used for screenings.

Past projects RuffCuts and the indymedia ENR have
looked a decentralised way of creating CDroms and
VHS's for screening at public venues. Broadband
technology opens the door for a new level of
collaboration. Broadcast quality Video files can be
exchanged and on-line translation tools used to create
and distribute multilingual DVDs.

We look at the question, are there existing networks
of Video producers who can benefit from these
technology and explore possible future projects and
how can they work together.

Network Distribution Services and International
Screening Database : Sun 20th, 15:00, Ruysdaelstraat

Presentation Mute Agents site

Existing distributors consistently fail the cultural
sector and have not taken sufficient advantage of the
Web for e-commerce and social networking. The mission
of NDS is to provide an alternative. Using the Web's
ability to help people share information and
collaborate, it enables the global promotion, sales
and fulfilment of goods, improving cultural producers'
sustainability and visibility at national and
international level.

The system works by creating a global web of
locally-inputted information, ranging from producers
and agents to outlets and goods.

Two core barriers to the creation of a global market
place for independent cultural products are high
freight costs and a parity of goods' prices. We are
tackling these through systems we (and others) call
'Community Couriering' (CC) and Peer-to-Peer
E-commerce (P2P EC). With CC, people carry goods for
less than commercial couriers' rates (when they are
taking certain routes for other purposes already);
with P2P EC, producers and buyers negotiate prices to
index them to the purchasing power in the relevant
region rather than via a straight currency conversion
(this is known as Purchasing Power Parity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing_power_parity
).

See: dev site http://agents.metamute.org and our work
area http://3d.openmute.org

To book onto these workshops please email
vxmission at gmail.com

http://www.mutantmedia.org.uk  -  crazy freaks loverble geeks
http://www.basslinecircus.org - genetically modified circus

phone: 07913 882193