[blag-whereto] so whereto really? are we serious? a *proposal* & call to action

noldrin devslashnull at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 01:45:23 GMT 2009

I remember the first time I met RMS, it was about 10 years at a Sci Fi
Convention.  I told him that I respected what he'd done for computer
software.  His first reaction was to ask me if I was a Hacker.  I told
him that I wasn't.  He told me that it was really important that I find
a way to contribute to the free software movement.  I told him I would
try.   I haven't really done anything since then to produce, till I
started working on BLAG.

I intend to keep working, as BLAG or on my own.  When I started after
jebba left, I really didn't know much, and my system knowledge was not
that strong.  I never even had built an RPM before.  I had compiled
some tar balls, and even compiled a src RPM, but that was about it.  I
think I had only built two servers for production before the repo box.
So I've had to learn a lot.

If I do this mostly on my own, it will probably drift away from a BLAG
feel as I don't have the same style as jebba.  So if it's going to
continue to be BLAG, I'll need others.  Also, it will make the
difference between making BLAG a respin of fedora with a new theme and
custom repo, or it's own feel with it's own options.  Do want
Ctril-alt-backspace to keep restarting X?  Then we'll need to deviate
from upstream.

I do have a lot of other things going on, it's true.  Working on BLAG
is the first time since I got a job in IT that I've work on computers
just for fun.  And that feel pretty darn good.

-Jason

aim: noldrin