[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Statement about Economics & Real Democracy

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 4 18:58:12 BST 2009

Hi Robin

I like the idea you've put forward, of doing a statement that even a child
can understand. With justice in this context aren't we talking about the
ideal of "economic democracy" ?

Democratic justice being about equal rights to share
in power, including political-economic power..

About wealth: isn't the earth and its various resources, including the
people who inhabit it and their productions the primary human treasury? In
my view these real resources should be conserved, and wherever
possible used appropriately ie to the furtherance of equality, justice,
ecological stewardship and spiritual well being. Of course individual
endeavour must be rewarded, but also, somehow, the benefits of humanity's
collective work, and the basic value of the whole earth should be shared
equally as a basic starting point.

And isn't that where LVT comes in?

As Winstanley put it, better than almost anyone "the earth is a common
treasury for all". [Or, "the meek shall inherit the earth"] ;

Are we both talking about the commonwealth?  I am just guessing, am no
expert.

How would others describe wealth? Robin, what is your answer or statement
regarding (1)?

Cheers, Mark
PS I will forward this discussion to the Project 2011 list to see what
others come up with.
9

--
"We hear men speaking for us of new laws strong and sweet /Yet is there no
man speaketh as we speak in the street.”