[Campaignforrealdemocracy] 'Wealth' Discussion Fwd: [project2012] Re: Statement about Economics & Real Democracy

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 4 20:12:04 BST 2009

Here's Dave Wetzel's take on the question. Can we build a statement
around it?

-------------
How about considering man-made wealth and natural wealth?

The former includes buildings, clothes, tools, computers, furniture,
vehicles, machinnery etc.

The latter includes, land, the spectrum, the seas and oceans, sea-life,
plants, wildlife, oil, gas, coal, wood and water.

Capital is man-made wealth used for producing more wealth. So factories,
warehouses, offices, machinery, craftsmen's tools are  all capital.

consider a bicycle for sale in a cycle shop window - it is man-made wealth
and is capital.
If the purchaser uses it for pleasure  - it is man-made wealth but not
capital - it is a consumer good.
However, a bicycle used by a window cleaner for his business is capital.

Land is natural wealth. All land value should belong to the community - not
landowners.

  2009/8/4 Mark Barrett <marknbarrett at googlemail.com>

>   FYI see below.
> Does  anyone else feel like putting forward their own definition of wealth?

"We hear men speaking for us of new laws strong and sweet /Yet is there no
man speaketh as we speak in the street.”