[Campaignforrealdemocracy] [project2012] Community Networking

Matthew Scott Matt at communitysectorcoalition.org.uk
Mon Sep 14 11:24:04 BST 2009

Hi Mark

Community Matters are a well established national community umbrella org - they have around 1,000 members, typically community centres are their core supporters / constituency so there is a strong local connection.  Likewise CM is part of the Community Alliance which is a significant force in the sector around the idea of community 'anchors' - i.e. local multi purpose infrastructure.  CA are also one of my members, i.e. of the Community Sector Coalition.  Yes they are funded by government, as are most community orgs at that level and would not, I think, see themselves as the 'opposition' or as a counter hegemonic block (for those of you who know about the 'in and against the state' work of the early 1980s), so the idea of revolution is a tad rhetorical in my view, but there is a very strong connection with local communities and a strong interest in the civil as opposed to civic sphere and in deeper local democracy and there is a critical and independent element to it

Matt

Matthew Scott

CSC Director

020 7336 9461

Work mobile: 07827 258411

Website: www.communitysectorcoalition.org.uk

This message is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all attachments from your system.