[Campaignforrealdemocracy] [project2012] Community Networking

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 14 12:07:40 BST 2009

Hi Matt

Thanks for this.

I'm trying to work out a way in which the Project 2012 / CRD work can
connect effectively with these networks.

I know you're only subscribed to CRD list, which has a more reduced
traffic but the Project 2012 list has been humming with good ideas and
debate over the last 6 months and there's been, especially in the first
period of discussion a reasonable level of agreement about structural
changes (some of which I mentioned to you at our meeting at the Royal
Festival Hall) that would be good to put out to a wider audience for
deliberation. (More recently we've been debating values and taxation and how
to connect these two to the proposals for structural change but that is all
still quite open-ended)

Matt do you think there is a body of people who you could connect with who
would be interested to develop an alternative civil society manifesto
for real political and economic power at the local community level.
Something with the aims of, say
1. challenging the politicians rhetoric on decentralisation with a clear set
of proposals for a decentralised sovereignty (by pointing out the gap
between what they are taling about and what the policies they support will
actually achieve)
2. maintain and develop a level of critical and operational independence and
pursue the same for everyone
3. possibly fighting for some strategic seats in local / general /
other elections after GE 2010
4. encourage greater (ie real) democracy amongst all its members
5 challenge and attract activists, from transition towns to climate camp and
beyond to help out with direct action / electioneering as they feel
comfortable..

Something akin to a Union for Democratic Localists with the desire to join
together across the regions..?

What do you think?

Mark