[Campaignforrealdemocracy] [Fwd: Common Ground for Local Action]

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 5 10:25:56 UTC 2010

*Independent Civil Society as the Third Way*

We need to struggle together for a political economy that allows space to be
opened up, in effect new land rights in every local community for a new
sovereignty to be exercised. This vision must include all the decision
making powers usually associated with governance, eg new structures for the
bringing up of children, lending money to green businesses, supporting the
unemployed, local housing provision, the right to raise and spend revenue,
as a public corporation and thereby provide local public services, all to be
placed in the hands of ordinary people so that the tools are in place for a
new culture, based on community sovereignty and full equality for all, to be
created.

Constitutional issues relating to the exercise of that sovereignty, based on
the values of real democracy ie inclusivity, equality, responsibility in the
form of 'do no harm' environmental care, and also how each community relates
to other communities and the 'higher' levels of administration all need to
be worked out, but most of them are commonsense. A written constitution
guaranteeing such sovereignty and granting the judiciary the power to
overturn Acts of Parliament whenever they come into conflict with local
communities actions that are in keeping with the terms of the new,
environmentally conscious and equalising settlement, aswell as defining the
decentralised delegate decision making rights, between communities and the
regional / national level might also be a good thing although such a
constitution would need to be reviewable by the people, say, every 15 years
and include a sunset clause so it lapses if the people do not affirm it.

The success of a third way (ie people, not state or private led) recovery to
the multiple crises might depend on this sort of thinking?

These thoughts have been developed in collaboration with the teams at
Project 2012, Campaign for Real Democracy, Community Sector Coalition and A
World to Win

Mark

--
"We hear men speaking for us of new laws strong and sweet /Yet is there no
man speaketh as we speak in the street.”