[Cja] [climate09-int] CJA: the great fix-it-or-nix-it-debate

n i c o l a s diasporas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 08:38:24 UTC 2010

Hi all,

as someone involved in the attempt to set up a specific local climate
justice campaign in London (through climate camp east London, when it still
existed), Tadzio's suggestion makes perfect sense to me. We need to ground
climate justice as a concept and to find out what it means in practice where
we live. In Europe, this is not necessarily that clear - in our group, we
decided to try to focus on the issue of fuel poverty and were trying to
think of ways to build a grassroots 'campaign' around fuel poverty as a
climate justice issue.

But until we have a series of projects and campaigns such as this, climate
justice will remain ephemeral - a theory that we put on banners and make
into slogans, but without substance. I think that while the email list
should remain, dissolving CJA for now so as to focus on finding out what
climate justice looks like from 'below' is possibly the most useful thing we
can do. It may be that through the CJA list we can have an ongoing
discussion on what climate justice looks like, and how we go about achieving
it. And at some point perhaps we can use the old network to establish
connections between these local projects. But as Tadzio says, unless there
are those specific moments of resistance, we risk turning into little more
than a band of activists who come together at other peoples meetings to
cause a little trouble and not much else besides.

ciao
nic