[dfs3] write-up on computer installation at Miners' Hall

David Walland davidwalland at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 2 06:11:38 UTC 2014

Mark,

While I'm away, I'll see what cheap hardware changes are possible on these
machines.  They'll probably benefit from more memory - which is often much
cheaper than people think (older types memory is often dearer than recent
types!).  I'll check what the equivalent cpu with more cache ram costs for
these.  This price varies from the cheapest I've bought so far which was
£2.95 (inc p&p) *NEW*, but very ancient technology to upwards of £100 for
very modern cpus (bear in mind that I generally work on laptops).  The
clock speed of the Celerons in these machines is impressive, so we're
probably seeing cpus which would be too expensive for our sort of project -
but they're desk tops, so I'll check; most desk-top hardware is much
cheaper than the equivalent laptop hardware.
Finally, a video card with it's own ram may be a possibility.  These too
are sometimes available at very little cost - I've even seen them on
freecycle!

It might be interesting to up the ability of one of the machines as cheaply
as possible and then have a quick explanation plus total upgrade price
displayed with it, or fully written up on the blog.  People think this is
very hard to do and takes lots of precautions.  It's actually dead easy and
only minimal precautions are needed.

Regards

David