[dfs3] write-up on computer installation at Miners' Hall

mark mark at aktivix.org
Wed Jul 2 10:47:16 UTC 2014

[order of posts re-arranged to correct for top-posting]

https://network23.org/dfs3/2014/06/24/computers-for-durham-community-support-centre/

On 02/07/14 07:11, David Walland wrote:
> Mark,
>
> While I'm away, I'll see what cheap hardware changes are possible
> on these machines.  They'll probably benefit from more memory -
> which is often much cheaper than people think (older types memory
> is often dearer than recent types!).  I'll check what the
> equivalent cpu with more cache ram costs for these.  This price
> varies from the cheapest I've bought so far which was £2.95 (inc
> p&p) *NEW*, but very ancient technology to upwards of £100 for very
> modern cpus (bear in mind that I generally work on laptops).  The
> clock speed of the Celerons in these machines is impressive, so
> we're probably seeing cpus which would be too expensive for our
> sort of project - but they're desk tops, so I'll check; most
> desk-top hardware is much cheaper than the equivalent laptop
> hardware. Finally, a video card with it's own ram may be a
> possibility.  These too are sometimes available at very little cost
> - I've even seen them on freecycle!
>
> It might be interesting to up the ability of one of the machines as
> cheaply as possible and then have a quick explanation plus total
> upgrade price displayed with it, or fully written up on the blog.
> People think this is very hard to do and takes lots of precautions.
> It's actually dead easy and only minimal precautions are needed.
>
> Regards
>
> David

That's very interesting David. If some suitable components were
available in the waste stream I'd definitely be up for having a try.
However do bear in mind that one of our objectives is to reduce
unnecessary consumption, so if the machines are fit for purpose we
won't be buying any hardware to upgrade them.

Enjoy your hols - and thanks again for the posters,
Mark