[dfs3] write-up on computer installation at Miners' Hall

Stuart Thompson stuart at ribble-consultants.co.uk
Wed Jul 2 11:31:24 UTC 2014

I can't help feeling you're being a bit paranoid with "Must work well on
the hardware available – this means that fancy desktop environments like
KDE 4 and Gnome 3 would be less suitable than lightweight environments
like LXDE or XFCE". My 2000 vintage laptop (W98 machine too low spec to
run XP) runs Ubuntu 10.04 with the Gnome desktop perfectly OK [A more
serious issue is that latest versions of Flash and Ubuntu Unity desktop
require SSE2 (look under flags in /proc/cpuinfo ) which older
hardware/processors don't have].

Stuart