[dfs3] Decoration for the Miner's Hall event

Barry Titterton titterton.barry at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 21:21:46 UTC 2014

Hi,

I think that it would be nice to have some documentation around the hall
for people to read. I expect that there will be periods when people will
be waiting for software or updates to install so they may like something
to look at. I have been working on some leaflets to explain the
principles around free software. I would like the group members to read
through my proposals and comment on the tone, content, presentation etc.
Am I ranting or is it a measured and accurate account?

First leaflet (A5 size, double sided) is "What is Free Software". Fairly
self explanatory:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kiwplosz65pekkf/Leaflet%20-%20What%20is%20Free%20Software%20-%20plain.pdf

The second (Also A5, double sided) is "What is the problem with
Microsoft Office". This tries to explain the problem of using
proprietary file formats. I need to know if this reads OK, or does it
just sound like a "Microsoft is Evil" rant.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iyxv2hlsjmsj3gi/Leaflet%20-%20The%20Problem%20With%20MS%20Office%20-%20plain.pdf

The second set of leaflets are articles from the press that illustrate
Free Software principles. I have called them 'Case Studies'. The first
is about Munich's move to using Free Software. It will have this cover
sheet:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9b3iywe58d0f7kt/Poster%20-%20Case%20Study%20-%20Munich.pdf

Which will be bundled with either this article:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ulg3g2atzv0sr4/Linux_Voice_Munich.pdf

or this:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0au4h1iokgtbiqv/Tech%20Republic%20Munich.pdf

or both.

The second case study is about the UK government moving towards using
Open Document Format rather than proprietary Microsoft Office:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/47ti08qcgbwhryf/Poster%20-%20Case%20Study%20-%20Gov%20Standards.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rirh2pvl89dljn/NetworkWorld%20-%20UK%20Standards.pdf

You will notice that both cover sheets have a background design. Here is
the basic file:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0tkvzf1gdk301pa/Poster%20-%20Basic%20-%20A4.pdf

The influence for the design is taken from the new County Durham flag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Durham#mediaviewer/File:County_Durham_Flag.svg

The flag design contains the cross of St Cuthbert in recognition of
Durham Cathedral. Please speak up if anyone has any ideological
objections to including the cross in the design; it can easily be
removed and we can go with just the blue and yellow colour scheme
instead. If people really dislike the coloured background the leaflets
will also work just as well with a plain white background.
Also you will see that I have created a logo for the project. I
previously sent out a selection of possible logos for comments and this
seemed the best compromise. The blue colour represents the project's
links with Durham Community Support Centre, while the green colour
represents the environmental links with Transition Durham. I can try and
generate this logo as JPEG or SVG image files, or PDF.

Please send me your comments about the leaflets, articles and designs.
Do you have any other case studies or ideas for leaflets that you can
recommend?

Regards,
Barry T