[dfs3] Decoration for the Miner's Hall event

mark mark at aktivix.org
Sat Jul 5 18:14:10 UTC 2014

Thanks Barry for all this hard work! Further comments inline:

On 04/07/14 22:21, Barry Titterton wrote:
> I think that it would be nice to have some documentation around the
> hall for people to read. I expect that there will be periods when
> people will be waiting for software or updates to install so they
> may like something to look at.

Excellent point, and these materials will be useful next time we have
a stall or another event.

> Am I ranting or is it a measured and accurate account?

I don't think any of it is ranting however, it would be good to be
able to say where the information came from if you're ever challenged
on a particular point. One way to address this is by having an
electronic version on the blog which has hyperlinks to sources;
another is wikipedia style.

> First leaflet (A5 size, double sided) is "What is Free Software".
> Fairly self explanatory:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/kiwplosz65pekkf/Leaflet%20-%20What%20is%20Free%20Software%20-%20plain.pdf

Would

be good to include our contact details. Only thing I would
question in text is whether to use "FLOSS" rather than "FOSS".

> The second (Also A5, double sided) is "What is the problem with
> Microsoft Office". This tries to explain the problem of using
> proprietary file formats. I need to know if this reads OK, or does
> it just sound like a "Microsoft is Evil" rant.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/iyxv2hlsjmsj3gi/Leaflet%20-%20The%20Problem%20With%20MS%20Office%20-%20plain.pdf

Reads

fine, but needs explicit referencing as footnotes otherwise
people who are hearing this for the first time might not believe how
bad M$ really are. They would think you were ranting even though you
aren't.

> You will notice that both cover sheets have a background design.
> Here is the basic file:-
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/0tkvzf1gdk301pa/Poster%20-%20Basic%20-%20A4.pdf

The flag design contains the cross of St Cuthbert in recognition of
> Durham Cathedral. Please speak up if anyone has any ideological
> objections to including the cross in the design; it can easily be
> removed and we can go with just the blue and yellow colour scheme
> instead. If people really dislike the coloured background the
> leaflets will also work just as well with a plain white
> background.

St Cuthbert's Cross will need to go as we're not a religious project
and having an explicitly Christian symbol will alienate some people,
even if it is on the county flag.

> Also you will see that I have created a logo for the project. I
> previously sent out a selection of possible logos for comments and
> this seemed the best compromise. The blue colour represents the
> project's links with Durham Community Support Centre, while the
> green colour represents the environmental links with Transition
> Durham. I can try and generate this logo as JPEG or SVG image
> files, or PDF.

I like it! Just curious whether blue is the correct colour for the
support centre - could Trev / Robbie / Mick please comment?

> Please send me your comments about the leaflets, articles and
> designs. Do you have any other case studies or ideas for leaflets
> that you can recommend?

Yup! "Tamil Nadu's XP migration plan"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/04/tamil_nadus_xp_migration_plan_go_linux_like_a_boss/

Cheers,