[dfs3] notes from meeting 9/7/14 *** SIGN UP FOR EVENT ON 26TH NOW ***

mark mark at aktivix.org
Fri Jul 11 15:07:59 UTC 2014

Hey everyone,

Please have a read through these notes and send any comments,
reflections or questions to the mailing list.

SUMMARY: We have changed our plan for the event on 26th to make it
easier for absolute beginners. If that's you, sign up without further
ado, here:

https://network23.org/dfs3/events/free-software-skill-share-1/

Cheers! Mark.

*

DFS3 meeting July 9th 2014 @ EmptyShop HQ

Present: M, B, D.

Apologies: none received.

This was a slightly odd meeting as we were expecting to have a quiet
room to work in, but it turned out the venue was full of cool cats and
alt.folk bandsters, requiring much raising of the voice and shuffling
from seat to seat. It was good though, you missed a treat of an evening.

*

RECRUITMENT FOR JULY 26TH

Sign-ups for the event on 26th have been slow so far, although lots of
people have expressed an interest verbally. B. has done lots of poster
placement, M. a lesser number and has another 4 to go. M. also needs
to do a mailshot to several NGOs identified by B.

M. has sent a press release to local papers, radio and telly,
including a photo of two women using a laptop because we don't have
any female particpants so far, and this needs to be adressed.

Some pondering about why so few people have signed up so far, leading
into next item...

*

FINAL PROGRAMME FOR JULY 26TH

So far, we've only published a suggested format for the day, without
specifying any content, hoping to get people signing up for a
barcamp-style buzz. That hasn't happened though, so we reflected on
what we should change.

We agreed that people might be more keen if they knew what they were
going to get, rather than being expected to co-create from the start,
Thusly, the programme has been re-jigged to include two pre-determined
"teaching" sessions, plus time for learning/working in small groups,
and time for participants to decide what future direction the project
should take.

The two taught sessions will be "An introducing to using Mint" and
"How to get things done in Mint". You can (and should) read all about
it and make comments, here:
https://network23.org/dfs3/2014/07/11/programme-for-july-26th-final/

*

PRINTED MATERIAL

D. pointed out that having a QR code for a link-shortening site was
not best practice; M. agreed to regenerate at higher resolution
encoding the URL of the blog, unshortened.

B. Showed some case-studies about Linux adoption which we agreed where
great, and some leaflets, which together will be useful as reading
material for slack moments on 26th, and as general propaganda when we
next have a stall somewhere. Posters and other materials are also in
the works; (links to) drafts will be circulated.

*

WORDPRESS

M. showed B. the backend of the blog. M. will create an account for D.

*