[dfs3] Nice one!

Barry Titterton titterton.barry at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 13:46:42 UTC 2014

On 27/07/14 10:23, mark wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who came along to the Miners' Hall
> yesterday, despite it being the perfect weather for playing outside;
> especially Barry and Dan, without whom it wouldn't have worked.
>
> Here are my reflections on the event, in no particular order. These are
> all "IMHO" so feel free to disagree :)
>
> The building was beautiful and the thick, sandstone walls protected us
> from the heat. I for one feel good to have delivered something in
> collaboration with Unite Community Branch on DMA premises. The downside
> however was that the way the room was set up didn't make it easy for
> people to mingle, and kept people far apart on opposite sides of the
> amazing table. For this kind of event I would like a smaller room with
> movable tables.
>
> Someone should write a blog post about the day, whilst it's fresh in
> our minds. Someone should volunteer to do this. If you like, I'll help
> you, but I'm not doing it on my own.
>
> - From my (messy) notes it looked like there were three 'themes' to what
> people wanted to do next. They were:
>
> 1] Do something with graphics, especially designing posters and fliers
> using free software
>
> 2] Do something related to computer privacy (and security?) for beginners
>
> 3] Do installfests outside of Durham city, in village halls and
> community centres
>
> 4] Do something with linux-based music-making and audio production
>
> 5] Find a way to get old computers into the hands of people who need
> them, in a useful state (i.e. linuxified)
>
> 6] Something to do with getting google's grasping claws and sticky
> fingers out of your smartphone
>

> So, I'd like to say at this point that it's been a great buzz being in
> the driving seat, but I feel this is a good time for me to let other
> people shine by taking a back seat myself.
>
> What that means practically is that if you want any of the things in
> the list above to happen, or anything else for that matter, YOU need
> to step up and make it happen. Other people including me will support
> you, but now is the time for people to take on "sudo leadership".
>
> http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/The_sudo_leadership_Pattern
>

> Be excellent to one another,
> Mark

Hi All,

Thank you for your support yesterday. I think that it went well. A
follow up meeting would be great but probably not until after the main
holiday season.

I am interested in learning about items 1 & 2.
I can help with, or organise something around, items 3 & 5.

I cannot commit to anything during August or the first half of
September:- moving house, wife starting her new job, etc.

Mick,
Would you please share the pictures that you took yesterday so that we
can put a couple on the DFS3 blog?

Regards,
Barry T