[dfs3] learning to program the DIY way

Barry Titterton titterton.barry at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 15:32:56 UTC 2014

On 03/09/14 10:34, mark wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Would anyone like to learn to program with me? We could form a study
> group or just consult each other if we get stuck.
>
> I'm going to be learning to program a language called Python [1],
> using a free book called "Learn Python the Hard Way" which is
> available for free on t'internet [2].
>
> I think the name is inaccurate - the author is just making a point
> that you need to practise in order to get good at anything. I've
> looked at half a dozen different online courses and this seemed like
> the best. It is suitable for people who have never programmed before.
>
> Starting this week, kids have to learn to programme in school from a
> very young age, so this is an opportunity to be able to help your
> grandchildren / children / self with your homework (depending on how
> old you are), or just to be able to say, "aha, let mum show you how
> I'd do that in python".
>
> My own reason for learning python is that I learnt some other
> programming languages a long time ago, but they aren't in common use
> any more, and I want to be able to contribute to projects that are
> making the world a better place (examples [3]) so I'm updating my
> skills. Other reasons people give for learning to code include:
>
>   - self-directed learning looks good on your CV
>   - could lead to higher study or employment in IT
>   - it enables you to make your own programs which work just how you want
>   - it teaches problem-solving
>   - it provides a way in to understanding the world of information
>   - it is a creative act that demands no other justification
>

> I've only got as far as chapter one by the way, so it won't take you
> long to catch up...
>
> Mark
>

> [1] http://python.org/
> [2] http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
> [3] http://piratepad.net/0FjDbClgpj

Hi Mark,

That sounds like fun. I have intended to get a working knowledge of a
programming language for two years now but have not been able to get
myself organised. I find that I learn best by having a project or
problem to solve in order to concentrate my attention. Do you intend to
have a regular meeting place or do it by email?

Barry T