[dfs3] That's disappointing

mark mark at aktivix.org
Wed Mar 11 18:13:01 UTC 2015

Barry Titterton:
> On 11/03/15 13:10, mark wrote:
>
>> Hi Barry,
>
>> That is very disappointing.
>
>> If they're getting given new machines, will they give us the old
>>  ones so we can liberate them and pass them on to someone else?
>
>> Mark
>

> Hi Mark,
>
> The deal is a 'New For Old' exchange so it is not an option. If
> you think about it, it is quite a good system for Microsoft:-
>
> 1. They bribe trainers to use the latest Windows thus keeping new
> users locked in to the Microsoft ecosystem.
>
> 2. This, along with the free upgrade offer, minimises the chance
> of another XP/Vista fiasco.
>
> 3. Removing the old machines from circulation stops people from
> trying out the linux competition.

Grrr... this makes me cross...

What do you think Spennymoor Settlement would say if you asked them a
question like "have you assessed the environmental impact of your
decision?" (or social impact, for that matter)

Or even "how does your decision to choose windows instead of linux fit
with the history and values of the Settlement?"

Are the trustees aware that they have an option?

Cheers,
Mark