[dfs3] That's disappointing

Barry Titterton titterton.barry at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 21:24:36 UTC 2015

On 11/03/15 18:13, mark wrote:

> Grrr... this makes me cross...
>
> What do you think Spennymoor Settlement would say if you asked them
> a question like "have you assessed the environmental impact of
> your decision?" (or social impact, for that matter)
>
> Or even "how does your decision to choose windows instead of linux
> fit with the history and values of the Settlement?"
>
> Are the trustees aware that they have an option?
>
> Cheers, Mark

The decision was made by the controlling committee of the Settlement,
and I wasn't present. The tutor was aware of what I was trying to do
but the decision had already been made to 'upgrade' to Windows 10 in
order to keep pace with the devices that people would be buying in the
shops, and thus keep offering a relevant service. In the current
financial climate I think that the deal was considered too good to
ignore. I don't think ecological or ethical issues came into the
discussion. I do not want to push things too hard as I have a faint
nope that something may be done in the future. At the moment I have
one possible ally within the Settlement organisation and I do not want
to alienate her.

Everyone that I have spoken to, outside of the linux community, has
been through the British education system of:-

Computers = Microsoft

and visa versa. Most of them do not care about anything else. The
nearest they get to choice is considering an iGadget (even though that
is even worse!). The education system does not appear to teach
alternatives to Microsoft, or about the impact of the consumer
society, nor digital ethics. Even people who have an interest in moral
issues completely miss the point. They put convenience or a fashion
statement above their social conscience. We have a long way to go.

Regards,
Barry T