[Dissent-tech] web resources for dissent network ('anti g8')

Space Bunny lists at j12.org
Wed Dec 17 15:31:20 GMT 2003

Hello dissenters (tech crew),

I offered (temp?) hosting for g8 stuff before on a decent London based
server I have access. I can set up user account for any one here who
wants one to put up G8 pages or the like. I can also offer MySQL db, as
well as php, ssi, python.
I am willing to set stuff up if it will be used. I can set up a MoinWiki
( http://moin.sourceforge.net/ ) per domain as have this server wide. An
example of it's use is at http://geneva03.net/

Support will be limited. But there again support from riseup.net and
mutualaid.net is limited too.

bozavine who has tried to sort page on riseup a while back took up offer
from me in meantime before at http://g8.ourmayday.org
I assume he still has details to access those pages.
That was temp domain any other which can be pointed at my server can be
mapped to it.

Note check you can set dns up on any domain service you get with domain
to point to servers. Not all do they often just have redirects.

I use http://justthename.co.uk for uk domains.
As will many online domain purchases, a person other than registant can
pay with credit/debit card and the credit card details are not kept
after a few weeks.

If the someone else does not object I help with purchase domain, on
behalf of dissent network.

http://www.just-the-name.co.uk/whois.shtml?domain=dissent&tld=org.uk

Round robin dns which sara mention may be a good idea for static pages
but need to move dns to someone willing to set up
but with .uk domain name dns need to be uknic tag holder or extra 80
pounds a year charge, which is why I generally buy top level domain
names from http://gandi.net or http://joker.com . If someone outside EU
is registant etc. they are VAT free.

Sheff mayday knows same uknic tag-holder, WebArch as  I do. They are
hosting this mailing list. But one would have to ask them if they want
to run dns for this domain. They may not as legal complaints may go to
them. One would have to ask.

One trouble with round robin dns is it added complications if you want
to use any dynamic database driven web solution (content management
system) rather than static pages. Some CMS such as MIR produce statics
pages. IMC Germany uses it on  a round robin dns. But I suggest a LAMP
based CMS such as Mambo ( http://www.mamboserver.com/ ), which can look
very elegant full XHTML templating ie can use tools such as dreamweaver
with extention to add interactive elements to templates
( see http://peace-justice.movingpages.org/scrshot/mamdream.jpg )  but
has advantages of gui web interface for maintance. One can test out
differnet cms at: http://opensourcecms.com but it only has older version
of mambo and the java script admin menus have been made more cross
browser since.

http://www.peace-justice.movingpages.org

That peace and justice site is not a real/offical website for actual
peace and justice centre nor was any template design done on it, it was
just put up by a friend to demo funtionality of a cms. One can choose
which interactive elements one has they are all easily loaded
modules/components.

I have also set up a wiki page before at:
http://www.ourmayday.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?G8-Britain

Anyone can edit the page, if they have confidence to go for it. Click on
edit this page at bottom.
But you may want to see first:
http://www.ourmayday.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Text_Formatting_Rules
and play around in: