[Dissent-tech] collectivising web site gestation

Space Bunny lists at j12.org
Fri Jan 9 11:40:22 GMT 2004

Sheffield Mayday wrote:

>Space bunny has now set up Mambo CMS (content management system ??) on
>our server now.
>
>www.dissent.org.uk/index.php
>
>I have to say I haven't found these that great in my limited
>experience. They're usually not much easier than learning HTML.
>However from a brief play in the admin section this morning this one
>seems pretty cool and easy to use.

the main thing is much easier to allow multiple people to add and update
stuff, and design can be handled separate to content.

>At the moment it's just got a naff pre set template but these are easy
>to change and we can create our own or change the existing ones (both
>the CSS and HTML) or find more premade ones on the web.
>
>Its open source software (free and arguably radical in itself in a
>captialist world) and seems that as a network it would be particularly
>useful with different people wanting to add content to the site.
>
>I've added the call out for the next gathering and a contacts page
>though none of what is there is public yet.

well it is now linked to from just going to

http://www.dissent.org.uk

are people cool about me adding link to wiki page even though no one
other than me and ab used that wiki page yet.
But other might yet.

>Not sure if we have different logins for the admin interface or share?

best to have loging each for every one who wants/needs access.

just speak up on this list if you want access to help. Thing is to first
register as user (note we can remove that user login box later if we
want if no need for external users). Then me or steve can set you to
have admin privaleges if appropiate. It may help if you have introduced
your self on this list or have been in touch at meetings ( eg
EFgather/London/Nottingham).

If anyone here want my phone number just ask me and I will email you it
offlist.

also you might find me on Internet Relay Chat on
server: irc.indymedia.org
 in
 #uk channel
 if you use irc.

If you want to practise using admin before/if getting access to dissent site
then there is a sandbox install at:
http://www.opensourcecms.com/mambo/
site gets reset every hour.

go to:
http://www.opensourcecms.com/mambo/administrator/

login as:
admin

password:
admin

perhaps people want to think what sort of stuff should be on website. It
is tempting with CMS to add lots of functionality with new modules such
as forum or gallery (which can be found at http://www.mamboportal.com/ )
just because one can. But I think should take one stage at a time.

Lets get look and feel sorted, logos etc. Lets just get a few bits of
text on front page as Steve has, and work out how we want them displayed
which has some flexibity.

Who wants to do these things, or just have an input. I guess that is why
you are on this list. Min thing is someone keen to go logos. Is someone
keen to sort out look and feel.
Then we can work out way forward.

I will help as and when, but am quite busy with other web work. Also I
am not that on board with whole dissent network thing at mo. I just saw
and oportunity to help with this site and went for it. And I am please
steve is happy to move forward this way.

Anyway we have time to sort out way forward.

cheers,

Space Bunny

http://j12.org/sb/