[g8-sheffield] Prep for the day of workshops and talks

fabian fab at in-no.org
Thu Apr 14 16:02:09 BST 2005

> Hallo!
>
> I'm just starting to do something, so I thought I'd check by y'all to
see if it's OK wit' ya.

cool!!!

> I'm putting together a list of people to invite to Sheffield, to speak
and take part in a day of preparing our own community-led manifesto on
the War on Terror.

> My pre-emptive conclusion is that we'll say various things like:
>
> 1. The global network of torture needs to be dismantled, criminilised
and enforced.
> 2. Use of resources needs to be directed towards *actual* dangers, not
politically or materially convenient targets like Iraq
> 3. Security services need radical overhaul and some system of scrutiny
to do this

> Blah... don't want to pre-empt too much, but this is guiding my
> contacting.

it might be working for our call as well

> I'm probably going to start with Les Levidow (see
> http://www.redpepper.org.uk/ ) and people at this great website -
http://www.cacc.org.uk/, as well as Richard Norton Taylor, who should be
able to give a genuinely viable alternative backbone to any manifesto
prepared.

> I'll trawl for others too.  Don't really want George Galloway, do we?

no! Not really

> If anyone else wants to suggest names, we can write and then snowball
from there.  Obviously, we don't want too many key speakers, so I'll
wait for suggestions for other key speakers before writing off!

I was thinking about someone from No One is illegal group like Theresa
something (did a book on the issue) or Steve Cohen. for more info see
www.noii.org.uk

> Is everyone happy with this overall approach?
>
> (We'll need to get the outline of the day solidified a bit more before
inviting them.  But we could potentially leave the days open to fit with
what our preferred keynote speakers can do...)

we will do that hopefully next Wednesday by forming a working group on
conference programm, as far we agreed to suggest a loose frame for
sheffield groups to pop in if they like...
I like to focus on local groups and workshops they can do, but some
key-speakers are really a good thing.
so go ahead

also for an idea on press work please take a look at bristols dissent
group press release for their "all for G8 to disband" I quite like it....

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/westcountry/2005/04/308308.html

Fabian

_:/^/<>