[g8-sheffield] Re: the right of unlawful protest

dougald hine writetodougald at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 13:00:48 BST 2005

On 6/20/05, Kathleen Holliday <noworris at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I was there to make a democratic legal protest

I still think Adriana has a point - if we accept this new phrase
'legal protest' we're saying that our democratic rights are subject to
the whim of government, rather than something fundamental. How can we
voice our opposition to government if we require their permission to
protest?

I don't think we should start accusing each other of betrayal, but I
don't think any of us - whatever form of action we take, arrestable or
non-arrestable - should accept the good/bad opposition of 'legal' and
'illegal protest'.

--
Dougald Hine
46 Alderson Road, Sheffield S2 4UD