[g8-sheffield] Re: the right of unlawful protest

Kathleen Holliday noworris at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jun 20 14:04:26 BST 2005

I didn't mean it in that way. I am just one of the people with limitations
on what actions I can take. If I had no responsibilities at home I would
have sat in the road, or organised people to ring the police ring and shout
in unison city-wide. I did what I saw as my only option.

I think that the police were treated unfairly by the powers that be by
having to protect these gangsters in the way they did from legitimate
protesters. I had no argument with Sheffield blokes doing their job.

Personally, I don't think there is such a thing as an "illegal" protest. It
is one of our basic rights as citizens of this planet. I certainly wouldn't
knock the efforts of anyone on the side of what is RIGHT, which is to end
this mafia-type charade that the "leaders" of g8 are enacting.

ps They did look like nasty scuttling things running into the undergrowth at
the Winter Gardens!

Dougald Hine wrote:

I don't think we should start accusing each other of betrayal, but I
don't think any of us - whatever form of action we take, arrestable or
non-arrestable - should accept the good/bad opposition of 'legal' and
'illegal protest'.