[g8-sheffield] President of SINALTRAINAL Assassinated

John Smith johncsmith at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 12 10:30:16 BST 2005

President of SINALTRAINAL Assassinated

It is with much pain we inform you that our comrade LUCIANO ENRIQUE ROMERO
MOLINA, President of SINALTRAINAL, has been assassinated.  He was last seen
by a family member at about 9:00 PM driving a Spring taxi with plates VP 473
on September 10th in the city of Valledupar.  He was later found tied with
about 40 stab wounds and signs of torture.

Luciano Romero who was 45 years old and is survived by 4 children and his
partner, worked in the Ciclac-Nestle factory in the city of Valledupar where
he was fired on October 22, 2002 due to an allegation that he engaged in an
illegal strike which was really a protest  meeting.

Our comrade Luciano had been threatened with death which is why on various
occasions he had left Valledupar for his own protection and was once in
Gijon, Spain in a program of protection and solidarity.  He was  the union’s
delegate to the Political Prisoners Solidarity Committee in which he carried
out solidarity and humanitarian activities for the detainees.

We repudiate this horrendous crime, which is part of the interminable list
of assassinated Colombian union leaders with in the strategy of State
Terrorism and the persecution  of carried out by corporations in order to
exterminate the labor movement.   We condemn the government of Alvaro Uribe
Velez and its deceptive Peace dialog with paramilitary groups that continues
to massacre the defenseless  population and under the law of Justice and
Peace they will be recognized as legal by the state which is nothing more
that a pardon.

Send protest letters to:
Álvaro Uribe Vélez
Presidente de la República de Colombia