[HacktionLab] progress on registration form

ana anap at riseup.net
Tue Apr 27 18:46:57 BST 2010

Mike Harris wrote:
> If you're really paranoid about this Ana just email your answers to the
> booking form PGP encrypted to me directly and I'll process them :)

Thank you, the workshops I'd like to run are now on the wiki :)

> Don't see why the wiki needs SSL? Can you justify this? What is it
> that we're protecting people from with SSL?

We're protecting their "privacy", as a principle. Not just that page,
I'd like "all" pages to offer https, so that all traffic is eventually
https and it becomes the norm.

In a more personal level, I am aware that authorities want to map our
traffic, our website preferences. So I want as much privacy for myself
as possible, and it has become a habit , to watch out for the "s"
whenever I see a link.
> This really isn't supposed to be a secret project, one for being
> paranoid on, it's supposed to be an open project, that's why there's this (almost open) list, and a public wiki.

Of course. I don't think https implies secrecy - I didn't ask for a
password to be put in front of the page. Even open lists can be viewed
over https connections.

I'm not sure if I would define this as an activist group, or a "group of
politically active people", or if people would be comfortable with it.
But we're publishing a booklet on security, and a good way to start
would be to provide that security ourselves? and practice it?

> Obviously if we provide an SSL URL for the sign-up which we can do,
> we'll need to provide a link and instructions to get to it.

Would this be something of what you're thinking?

https://ana.aktivix.org/https

> It might therefore be better just to go for the SSL one as you suggest.

Erm.. I suggested giving the option, because thinking of less technical
people, the screen of "untrusted site" can be off-putting and can even
stop some from even seeing the page.

I hope i make sense...

ana