[HacktionLab] List of suggested ammends to booking form and site

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Sun May 2 16:43:10 BST 2010

>     "workshops will be organized on an informal basis during the camp
>     itself, there's no need to sign up to them, and you can organize one
>     on the fly at the camp if you want.  However, if you'd like to
>     express your interest in any of the following workshops which people
>     are offering, it might help them plan things out better."

No, not exactly that yoss.

We have a selection of suggested workshops and we need people to chose
what workshops they want to attend, so that we know to run them.  They
are pre-planned and will run.  We have the 'barcamp' sessions where you
can informally propose your own topics for discussion and workshop
sessions and arrange them in an ad hoc fashion.  I would say:

"At this year's BarnCamp we have a some excellent workshop sessions
proposed.  In order for us to better tailor the programming, please
choose from the list below those workshops that most interest you.  We
will email you nearer the time of BarnCamp  to confirm which workshops
will be running."

Alrighty?

> Any suggestions there, or if I should just take workshops out entirely,
> just let me know. Apologies if I got this wrong.

The idea of having them on the form is to help us get the content right.
 The feedback from last year was that the sessions were too informal and
sketchy.  This year's sessions will be much better prepared by people,
but it's good to know in advance that people want to attend them.

>> 2.  On the registration form under the workshops section, please can we
>> change the wording: "In order for us to determine which workshops are
>> suitable for running at this year's BarnCamp, please choose any from the
>> list below that interest you.  We will email you to confirm the
>> workshops that we actually run nearer the time."

Erm, yes, exactly that.

> Done. Are people actually receiving these emails, or am I right in
> thinking that the box's mailserver config isn't set up properly (bad
> relay or something) and that I should talk to some kind of server admin
> person to fix that?

I got BOTH my confirmation and also the confirmation to me as an admin
of me signing up!

If you're stuck on mail server config, I might be able to help.  What
server is it?

>> 8.  Children are welcome, but please help us by arranging childcare for
>> them whilst you are attending workshops.  They are welcome to eat, but
>> it would be great to have a small donation from you to cover our costs.
>>  We don't currently have anyone organising creche facilities, if you
>> think you could help with this, please tick this box.
> I've used Mick's suggested working re: children, I can put pet text up
> when that's available.

Given recent list developments I reckon we can put:

"Kids are most welcome and can eat for free.  We are in the process of
arranging crêche facilities for those wishing to attend workshops.
Please let us know if you are are bringing kids with you."

>> 9.  Need an animals policy written up somewhere, perhaps just the wiki
>> page will be fine.  We're waiting on HF for their take on this.

Can you put:

'Since the venue is a working farm, unfortunately we have to ask that
you don't bring animals with you.  Thank you.'

> Is this everything?  Shoot more feedback my way if more changes are
> needed.  It's sometimes difficult to pick out concrete tasks from the
> flow of the list, so apologies if I've missed anything or misunderstood it.

I think that's it Yoss.  So long as you have the cheque details.

Do you think we ought to also put bank account details on so people can
make direct transfers?

> Sorry for taking a couple days to implement this stuff, I had a benefit
> gig for a friend on Friday night and Mayday yesterday.  I have also
> taken a crack at changing the PayPal parameter sent. I'm now using the
> "item_name" parameter instead of "item_number", maybe it'll help.  The
> PayPal docs seemed to suggest that using a "custom" parameter wouldn't
> work as that's only for payments, not donations, although I may have
> read that wrong.

As I said, we could change the button type to be payment, rather than
donation.