[HacktionLab] updated pages for tech tools leaflet online

penguin penguin at riseup.net
Fri Jan 7 12:41:20 GMT 2011

Hi

I've made some minor edits to Alan's version. I also couldn't log into
booki, and the password reset function doesn't seem to work. If somebody
knows people at booki, I've copied the traceback at the end of my
message (I also couldn't see how to contact booki).

Cheers.

Pete and some friends were successfully sharing news about a
demonstration using #hashtags on Twitter. When they tried to repeat this
the next day, they found that their accounts had been suspended, and had
lost access to their friends and followers lists and older tweets.

Pete and his friends could have avoided this by using StatusNet.
StatusNet is a microblogging service, similar to Twitter or Identi.ca,
but it's decentralised, which means you can run your own version of
StatusNet. It also can act as a Twitter client, so you can use it to
update you Twitter or Facebook status without losing control of your
content.

If you don't want to have to run your own StatusNet installation, you
can get an account on https://indy.im [1] or look at a hosted
installation at http://status.net.

StatusNet has some other neat features.
  * You can automatically attach pictures or video to posts, so you
don't need to hand your content to another party like TwitPic or Plixi
  * You can create and join groups. Posts into groups are sent to all
its members, even if they are not following you.
  * Your StatusNet timeline can be automatically updated from an RSS
feed, such as your own blog (or somebody else's blog).
  * If you have a smart phone you can install a StatusNet app from your
appstore to make publishing and reading your timeline simple.

Further information on statusnet is available <a
href="http://aland.burngreave.net/presentation/bradlab/statusnet.html">
Here </a>

Note [1] Except you cant get an account at indy.im without an
invitation. (Hint, if somebody wants to invite me - oxguin - I wouldn't
object).

Here's the traceback I get from trying to reset my booki password

Environment:

Request Method: GET
Request URL: http://www.booki.cc/forgot_password/enter/?secretcode=[code
was here]
Django Version: 1.3 pre-alpha SVN-13637
Python Version: 2.5.2
Installed Applications:
['django.contrib.auth',
 'django.contrib.contenttypes',
 'django.contrib.sessions',
 'django.contrib.sites',
 'django.contrib.admin',
 'booki.editor',
 'booki.account',
 'booki.reader',
 'booki.portal',
 'sputnik']
Installed Middleware:
('django.middleware.common.CommonMiddleware',
 'django.contrib.sessions.middleware.SessionMiddleware',
 'django.contrib.auth.middleware.AuthenticationMiddleware')

Traceback:
File "/var/www/booki-www/lib/django/django/core/handlers/base.py" in
get_response
  100.                     response = callback(request, *callback_args,
**callback_kwargs)
File "/var/www/booki-www/lib/booki/reader/views.py" in view_chapter
  62.     book = models.Book.objects.get(url_title__iexact=bookid)
File "/var/www/booki-www/lib/django/django/db/models/manager.py" in get
  132.         return self.get_query_set().get(*args, **kwargs)
File "/var/www/booki-www/lib/django/django/db/models/query.py" in get
  341.                     % self.model._meta.object_name)

Exception Type: DoesNotExist at /forgot_password/enter/
Exception Value: Book matching query does not exist.