[HacktionLab] Doing something positive at network x

JimDog theinnercityhippy at riseup.net
Wed Jan 12 13:10:15 GMT 2011

Heya

just wanted to point out that I've been roughly planning what to do for the media workshop for a few days now and was hoping to base it on actual media organising rather than overtly tech stuff (beyond distributing the booklet and having discussions around that) and certainly with no internal politics attached.

I'm hoping that heavy d can talk about online radio, the mule can talk about Wordpress and building a community news presence, hacktionlab can go for it with secure tools to use (including the statusnet alternative to tw*tter) and northern indymedia can focus on our solar mobile media centre, big action reporting a la g20 and local to global organising/rivalling the big corporate media structures in a decentralised way through network building and syndication.

The last thing we need right now, with possibly the largest mass mobilisations this country has seen for many years coming up fast, is for us to become ineffective by infighting and score settling. To do that is to betray the movement that needs us now more than ever.

Mark, I've stuck by you on many occasions but the comments you are making are out of order and completely inappropriate on this list. Please just apologise and retract that. I understand what you are trying to say but this really isn't the time or place for mudslinging or misguided accusations.

Also, gdm: I've the greatest respect for you too but accusing someone of being a cop on any mailing list is also out of order, hopefully you'll take that as a fair point.

So, secure media and network communications provision in the age of resistance to Tory austerity and capitalism itself... can we focus on that?

Solidarity

Jimdog

http://northern-indymedia.org