[HacktionLab] Off topics, yellow cards and good list behaviour

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Wed Jan 12 17:36:17 GMT 2011

 Hi All,

I'm a list admin and going to flex my list admin muscles here!  This
list is for general discussion, planning HacktionLab events,
presentations, publications and other activities.

Despite there being a notable number of people involved in HacktionLab
and on this list being also involved in Indymedia in the UK, this list
is NOT a list for discussing Indymedia issues and doing so, such as has
been going on the last day or so, really is off topic.

It's not off topic to post news of what Indymedia's up to that is of
relevant to HacktionLab, such as new site launches, proposals for events
and workshops, and it's not off topic to post a single request to the
list asking for help, but it's extremely off topic to start a totally
Indymedia-centric debate and then carry it on, bringing UK Indymedia
politics with it.

I know Mick already mentioned this, and I know he also said sorry for
starting it.  I'm not pointing a finger anywhere. I know that list
postings, especially provocative threads like the last one can just
start a flurry of Reply To's.

But, please stop it, and if anyone wants to communicate personally on
the topic, like Ben's kind suggesting to audit the UK MIR server to
establish whether Mark's assertion is correct, then please do it
privately and personally.

Finally, Mark, I personally hold you as a great asset and contributor to
HacktionLab so far, so I am loathed to ban you from the list.  Would you
consider apologising for the post and accept that an independent audit
should be done outside of HacktionLab, privately within the UK MIR
network, to establish whether what you say is correct?  In effect this
is a yellow card.

I hope this post now doesn't start another flurry of debate and I hope
you all see it as fair, please respond to me in person if you have any
issues with any of the above and my strong arm list admin technique to
save any more spamming.

Thanks everyone :)

w: http://mbharris.co.uk
t: +44 7811 671 893