[HacktionLab] BGG letter - power

protag protag at aktivix.org
Fri Jun 17 12:50:13 UTC 2011

Hi

> Excuse my ignorance on this but could that kit provide enough power to
> run a LTSP suite with let's say 10 to 15 clients + the internet dish
> (we are not sure yet if we'd need it but let's count on it).
>
> @BenG could you please give us more details of the amount of power the
> above kit would need?
>
> Cheers
> Llanos

By the way, sorry I missed you all at camp this year :(

About power - there's a doc on the Hacktion lab wiki somewhere* talking
about a similar thing to this. As I recall there's a long list of
multiplications then a conclusion which I read as "we didn't like the
answer so we tried again". :)

Those six panels make 480watts when it's sunny. There are four batteries
which are nominally 270Ah each.

So, er, I dunno, four hours of serious sun is approx 2kWh per day (or 200w
for 10 hours)

The reserve power of the batteries is probably 4 x 200Ah, so, 800Ah @ 12v
= 9.6kWh

I did a half-baked hung-over skill-share on 12v solar & batteries in 2010
(actually I can't remember the title, it was Chan's thing but no one woke
him up) - I'd like to do it again sometime but with some preparation and
documents to hand... esp now I've seen that Prezi thing...

Anyhow, I think the answer is, yes, enough power, even if it rains for a
few days.

sols

ptg

* it's here: