[HacktionLab] Booklets, and more booklets

Adelayde Skidmore adelayde at riseup.net
Thu Oct 6 19:46:45 UTC 2011

Howdy,

Penguin and myself with a good deal of help from Owen from Green Print
have just collated the final 120 copies of the original TTfA booklet to
go to the Rebellious Media Conference for Saturday - Penguin's taking
these down to it.  We also got 200 of a HacktionLab flyer printed and
these'll go down too.

We were discussing what we do about running out of booklets before the
new one comes out and the upcoming London Bookfair.  The Bookfair si by
far the largest event and probably one of our best opportunities for
diffusion and distribution of the booklet.

So, if we find ourselves without booklets after the RMC, we therefore
propose the we do an interim run of 200-300 of the original booklet with
a few quick ammends (see below).  We are up for funding this run
ourselves, but wanted to know if there'd be any objections to doing it.
We intend to pay for collation and stapling :)

A quick review of the booklet this evening led to the following proposed
ammends:

1.  Add a clear "£1 where sold" or "£1 recommended donation" to the
front cover.

2.  Add a very short introductory "Why should I be reading this
booklet?" paragraph to the beginning before launching into the plight of
Sanjay and friend.

3.  Replace the data retention statement on the back with more of a
summary about the various projects linked to hacktionlab along the lines
of what we discussed in Manchester.  Also add on the back cover and back
inset details about the upcoming new edition and possibly mention of
workshops and on-tour stuff.

4.  Add mention of Network23.org, BTM, Catalyst and Tachanka (if all
these projects agree) in the text someone.

5.  Oh, and the cover will be a different colour because there's no more
green card.

Make the above ammends to the previous printable version of the document
directly and send that for print (i.e. don't go via booki).   The aim
here is to turn this around as quickly as possible.

I realise that this is not ideal in that it won't be the new version,
but I think it is a good plan to have some more copies to tide us over -
so this will be version 1.1.

Please respond on this, especially Ben G, as soon as possible, with
ideas and especially outright objections, but also any suggestions you
have, as we'll be wanting to get this going by the beginning of next
week to make the Bookfair.