[HacktionLab] Electronic sealed envelope system?

penguin penguin at riseup.net
Sat Nov 3 15:04:47 UTC 2012

Hi Brent

I don't know of a technical solution. The only thing I can think of is
to break the passphrase into a number of smaller components and each
person only has one component. That way, at least several people
(except you, who will know the full thing) are needed to recreate the
full passphrase.

Not sure if I've explained this, so here's an example ...

You know the full thing: mypassphrase
Persons A & B know this: 1:mypa
Persons C & D know this: 2:ssph
Persons E & F know this: 3:rase

So (other than you) any person will need to contact 2 others to get
the full password. Obviously it's not 100% secure, and a major
potential downside is that all people that have a component of the
phrase need to know who the others are - so your 'enemy' may be able
to see your network of people. This is either of no consequence, or
massive, depending on your circumstances.

There's also more that one way to break a password:
https://xkcd.com/538/ ;-P