[HacktionLab] late homework - anyone speak Mediawiki?

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Fri Oct 5 11:27:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 12:00:51PM +0100, Mike Harris wrote:

> The encrypted side of things I think has the benefit that someone
> sniffing the passing of data in between the user and the wiki will not
> be able to see what data is flying about, including user login details.
> Of course, you may feel that the likelihood of that happening is low,
> and if it's a public site anyway then you're probably right, but for
> some out there they may feel happier using it if it were over an
> encrypted connexion.

Of course it's highly likely to occur, and it's quite disingenuous to suggest that it's not.

CCDP http://www.openrightsgroup.org/issues/ccdp

"...data to be intercepted and stored would include websites visited, the names of email, instant messaging correspondents, or lists of social networking "friends", and the time, size, and length of Internet phone calls."

And if we don't build systems to be resilient to the planned total surveillance we are certainly failing.

Regards,

Alan Dawson
--
"The introduction of a coordinate system to geometry is an act of violence"