[HacktionLab] late homework - anyone speak Mediawiki?

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 12:01:16 UTC 2012

On 05/10/2012 12:27, Alan Dawson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 12:00:51PM +0100, Mike Harris wrote:
>> The encrypted side of things I think has the benefit that someone
>> sniffing the passing of data in between the user and the wiki will not
>> be able to see what data is flying about, including user login details.
>> Of course, you may feel that the likelihood of that happening is low,
>> and if it's a public site anyway then you're probably right, but for
>> some out there they may feel happier using it if it were over an
>> encrypted connexion.
>>
> Of course it's highly likely to occur, and it's quite disingenuous to suggest that it's not.
I don't think I'm being disingenuous Alan, but as I think we've
established previously on another list, I think we both have different
takes on the topic.  I'd rather stick to giving our opinions on the
topic and letting Tom make up his mind, rather than saying whether one
person's being disingenuous, or another's being something else.

> CCDP http://www.openrightsgroup.org/issues/ccdp
>
> "...data to be intercepted and stored would include websites visited, the names of email, instant messaging correspondents, or lists of social networking "friends", and the time, size, and length of Internet phone calls."
>
> And if we don't build systems to be resilient to the planned total surveillance we are certainly failing.
hmm, no we're certainly doing something, but perhaps not everything we
can to counteract such legislation.

Tom, if that's of concern to you, then I'd go for what Alan says...

> Regards,
>
> Alan Dawson

w: http://mbharris.co.uk
t: +44 7811 671 893