[HacktionLab] discussion on community run communication

ameba23 at riseup.net ameba23 at riseup.net
Sat Jun 1 20:30:10 UTC 2013

Hi there,

I know its short notice, but i would like to propose a discussion for
barncamp, on community run communication networks.  The idea is to look
critically at existing electronic communication networks (eg: interenet
and mobile phones) and identify problems, such as centralisation of
control, survaillance, advertising, environmental impact, problems with
mental health of users.

Then a discussion of different approaches to community run alternatives.
Which could include storytelling, distributing newsletters on paper, PMR
radio, CB, amateur radio, and wifi point-to-point networks.  I have
recently visited some community wifi projects including guifi.net in
catalunya and tetaneutral in toulouse.   I would also like to propose
ideas for a mesh data network on the 430MHz amateur band.  I will be
bringing along two 430Mhz routers, with the idea to do range tests, but I
have some software problems with them and hoping to find some help with
that at the gathering.

I put on more or less the same discussion at last years chaos
communications congress in hamberg, a bit more blurb about it is here:
https://events.ccc.de/congress/2012/wiki/Community_run_communication_networks
also more ideas like this on my website ameba.ehion.com

let me know how it works with timetabling things
thanks,
peg