[HacktionLab] How best to organise categories on FLOSS Manuals

m3shrom m3shrom at riseup.net
Wed Aug 13 19:19:02 UTC 2014

On 10/08/14 14:16, Mick FM wrote:
> If you fancy helping me out coming up with names and restructuring
> what's already there I'm going to use this document to do it.
>
> http://piratepad.net/DYUQT3iDX1

Hi there,

Thanks to those who have been helping on this - (some great work on the
audio from mark!) The doc is starting to look really good!

I'm posting the latest version in this email to encourage revision and
discussion (there's a chat in the doc too with some good comments in
there. ).

Please feel free to revise the straplines and *keywords [in bold]*, but
please keep them SHORT (this is needed for layout reasons) -
here's the doc again http://piratepad.net/DYUQT3iDX

thanks again everyone-
Mick

-----///

*OPEN VIDEO*or just *VIDEO *(INCLUDES VIDEO TOOLS AND OPEN VIDEO)[What's
open video?]
A Look at Open Video: Introduction OV concepts and tools -*video, video
tools*
Plumi: Video Distriibution CMS - *distribution, plone**, open video, video*
Guide to Independent Video Hosting:  DIY video hosting and players -
*video **hosting, media players**, video, distribution*
Open Video Workbook: Course modules with tools andlearningactivities -
*workbook, video*,*design** *
Miro: Video podcast and broswer - *pcf, vodcast, mediarss**, video*
VLC: Flexible multimediaplayer - *videolan, video**, ogg*
*Handbrake*: Covert DVDs and video files  - *dvdripper, transcoding**,
k9copy*
FFmpeg2Theora: Command line utility for converting video*commandline,
transcoding*
Avidemux: Video encoder and simplevideoeditor - *dvdripper, video editor*
Kdenlive: A video editor  - *video editor*
Ogg Theora Cook Book: Tips on Open Video with Ogg - *open video**, ogg*
Jubler: Crossplatform Subtitling tool-*subtitles, audio transcribing*
Kino: Video editing in Linux- *video editor**, video capture, **vide**o*
Video Subtitling: An overviewof subtitling tools and processes *video,
subtitles*

*LIBRE GRAP**H**ICS*or just *GRAPHICS*(INCLUDES GRAPHICS & BLENDER)[Why
libre graphics, and not just graphics?]
Gimp: Raster graphics editor used for image creation and photo
retouching &editing - *photo editor**, web image compression*
Font Forge: How to create new typefaces using FontForge -*fonts,
typography, typeface design, lettering, logos, logotypes**, glyphs*
Alchemy:Simple but fast vector image sketch creator *svg, sketch, editor*
Digital Foundations:A mash-up of the Bauhaus Basic Course with examples
inopen source software.A great resource for designers at all levels,
including basic introductions to *graphic design, illustration, type,
balance, colour, sharing, copyleft, coding.*
Inkscape:Vector graphics editor. Its goal is to implement full support
for the Scalable Vector Graphics 1.1 standard. - s*vg, vector,
illustration, drawing*
Scribus: Desktop publishing application*dtp, **multi-page **layout**,
typography*
Blender:3D animation tool *animation, wireframes**, design*

*AUDIO - *(INCLUDE STREAMING &SYNTHESIS)
Ardour2: A Digital Audio Workstation for complex productions. *design,
audio, non-linear editing*
Audio Production : How to design, execute and publish an audio
programme. *audio, design*
Audacity: Audio recording & editing software.*audio, linear editing*
Audacity Workbook: learn the basics of audio editing with Audacity.
*audio, linear editing*
MuSE: A graphical interface for streaming servers. *streaming, audio*
Icecast: A streaming server. *audio, video, streaming*
Csound: A textual programming language and framework for audio
synthesis. *code, audio, design, synthesis*
m3w /(this only worked on windows and the links are dead - I suggest
dropping it)//[ok]/

PureData: A graphical programming environment for audio and video
synthesis. *code, synthesis, audio, video, design*
Chuck: A textual programming language for audio synthesis. *code, audio,
design, synthesis*
Fluxus: A textual programming language and framework for audio synthesis
and animation. *code, audio, design, synthesis, animation*

*COMMUNI**C**ATION AND CAMPAIGN*
Tech Tools for Activism: A guide on how to use technology securely and
effectively for campaigning and activism. *campaign, **internet,
activism, security*
Freedom Fone
CiviCRM: Customer Relationship Management software designed for civil
society groups. *web internet, website, CRM*
CiviCRM Developer Guide: A guide on development using the CiviCRM
software. *web internet, website, CRM*
OpenEvSys  - database tool for Human Rights documentation human rights,
ObscuraCam: An Andriod photo & video app with many anonymising features.
*photos, video, security, smartphone, Android**, humanitarian, documenting*
K-9 Mail: Email client for Android devices. *email, internet,
smartphone, Android*
Sahana Eden-  Disaster Management tool *web, campaign*
Wordpress: Content Management System to create and manage websites-
*blogging, website, CMS, plugins, widgets, themes, MySQL, PHP*
Open Translation Tools- overview of translation tools and process
*translation, subtitles*

*WEB, EMAIL & THE NET*
Chromium: Web browser. *web, internet, browser*
BlueGriffon: An HTML editor for making web sites. *web, internet,
website, HTML editing*
NvU: An HTML editor for making web sites. *web, internet, website, HTML
editing*
Firefox/Iceweasel: Web browser. *web, internet, browser*
Collaborative Futures- the theory and practice of collaboration
*collaboration, social media, *
Thunderbird/Icedove: Email client[I'd move this to Internet, and perhaps
change topic to 'Web & Email']. *internet, email**, web*

*SECURITY & PRIVACY*
Hide your Data Workbook -  A quick guide to using Truecrypt security,
An Open Web - Overview of Open Web concepts. Join the fight.  *web,
internet, open web*
Encrypt your Email with GPG: How to prevent spying eyes from reading
your emails. *email, internet, security*
Basic Internet Security - intro and hand on info *web, internet,
security*
Firefox& Privacyin a Nutshell - short intro to the browser and security
*web, internet, browser**, security*
How to Bypass Internet Censorship: Overview of circumventing blocks.
*web, internet, security*

*OFFICE*
LIbreOffice - Office suite with word processor, spreadsheet, database,
presentations *office, spreadsheets*
ownCloud - Web-based file storing and
sharing(Dropboxreplacement)*filesharing, dropbox, collaboration*
Etherpad: A text editor that can be edited by many people at the same
time*collaboration, pad*
Booktype: collaboratively edit & publish books in  electronicand
printformats*collaboration, publishing, epub*
Mifos Android Client- Android client for microfinance
tool***microfinance, admin*
Linphone- introduction to Linphone VOIP system *voip, sip*
Mifos- tool for microfinance institutions***microfinance, admin*

*AV & **PERFORMANCE****[I think calling this 'AV' will cause confusion
with other sections, esp. the video and audio sections ]**[I agree]*
UpStage v2.4.2  User Manual -  web-based platform for live collaborative
performance by remote players*performance, web*
UpStage v2.1 User Manual -  web-based platform for live collaborative
performance by remote players *performance, web*
upstage-video-hack-annex - tips for using video for Upstage *video,
performance, web*
ChucKreal-time audio synthesis and graphics/multimedia *performance, AV*
Fluxusenvironment which allows you to quickly make live animation and
audio  *performance, AV*

*OTHER *
OpenStreetMap: Street maps that can be editedand styled[not sure why
this is in the office section, or in the graphics section- suspect it
belongs to 'other']. - *maps, location, tiles*
Introduction to the Command Line- using computer terminals *linux,
terminal, commandline*
FSLint - utility to find and clean unwanted files- *linux, OS tool*
KDE Dev Guide- guide to be a productive KDE developer   *OS tool,
linux*
Evergreen in Action - integrated library system for /inventory and
patron management /
Learning with Etoys Imagine, Invent, Insprire -  tile based programming
environment for children *etoys, education, kids**, design*
Bookshare Reader - reading application for the Bookshare.org print
disability project *bookshare, accessibility*
Introduction to Mallard -  markup language used to write topic-oriented
documentation *documentation, markup*
Contributors' Guide to BRL-CAD - hybrid Computer Aided Design modeling
system *CAD, modelling*
OpenMRS Implementers' Guide -  electronic medical record system
OpenMRS Developers' Guide - how to develop for this an electronic
medical record system *medical, humanitarian, documenting*
GSOC Mentors Guide - guide for GSOC mentors - //*/gsoc, admin,/*
GSOC Student Guide - guide for GSOC students  //*/gsoc /*
Google Summer of Code - Melange GCI - software that administers the
/Google Code-in/contest *code in, google*
Melange - Melange is the software that administers the /Google Summer of
Code /*/gsoc, admin,/*

*OLPC / SUGAR** **OS*
Sugar- visual, activity based operating system *learning, o**s**,
activities*
Write Activity - learning activity for OLPC / Sugar *olpc, sugar OS, OER*
Record Activity learning activity for OLPC / Sugar *olpc, sugar OS, OER*
Turtle Activity - learning activity for OLPC / Sugar*olpc, sugar OS, OER*
Chat Activity - learning activity for OLPC / Sugar *olpc, sugar OS, OER*
Terminal Activity - learning activity for OLPC / Sugar *olpc, sugar OS, OER*
XO- manual for the OLPC laptop *olpc, sugar OS, xo*
Class Acts - learning activity for OLPC / Sugar *olpc, sugar OS, OER*
Make your own sugar activities-  creating activities for OLPC / Sugar.
*design**, olpc, sugar OS*
Memorize Activity    - learning activity for OLPC / Sugar *olpc, sugar
OS, OER*
E-Book Enlightenment - reflections on writing ebooks for  OPLC *ebook,
epub, olpc*

*NEW MANUAL SUGGESTIONS*

PhpList
PyVideo
WebGL
SuperCollider    /(I can't find that one, is it an unpublished
draft?)//not written yet!/

*NEW SECTION SUGGESTIONS*

*Linux Desktop / PC*
*Mobile Phone Apps and Tools*