[HacktionLab] this is mental

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Fri Jul 11 10:23:15 UTC 2014

On 11/07/14 09:34, Gareth Coleman wrote:
> No, it's ok, I've written to the nice Mr Blunkett so I'm sure he will
> take his constituency views forward.
>
> It seems mad to me that they still think it's important to pretend its
> all nice and legal and governed when we all know that GCHQ is a law unto
> itself and will only be limited by funding and technical constraints.
>
> I mean, if they've been happily ignoring the law for years why does it
> matter what the laws say? Surely just to reassure middle england?

Hi,

I imagine it will be partly to do with outsourcing the risk to the
private sector. Seems to happen a lot these days.

If you can compel the ISPs to retain data in bulk then you don't have to
spend as much money on storage at GCHQ -- or you can spend it on storing
different things. I also think it is part of a bigger plan of
normalising spying and letting other agencies use the sort of
capabilities that were previously reserved for the spooks.

Cheers,

> On 11 Jul 2014 09:16, "Alan Dawson" <aland at burngreave.net
> <mailto:aland at burngreave.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 08:29:39AM +0100, Mick - Clearerchannel.org
>     wrote:
>     > This is all over the news and mental.
>     >
>     > I've done the below what else can we do at this point?
>
>     I'd feel very negative about this. The mass media was full of the usual
>     suspects telling us how this is required to defend against paedophiles,
>     criminals and terrorists.
>
>     The LibDems spin it as a win, as they have put a time limit on it until
>     2016, and say that data retention and RIPA will have a review then.
>     This will be after the next election.
>
>     The Tories and the Labour party are both pro data retention and have
>     been trying to push these things through for years with the
>     "Interception Modernisation Project" and the "Communication Capabilities
>     Development Program".
>
>     They are also looking forward to a review, in 2016.  After they have
>     majority government and can increase the range of the level of
>     surveillance.
>
>     The legislation has a new section, "extra-territoriality" where UK can
>     issue warrants for data requests to foreign companies, that may involve
>     non UK citizens not in the UK. ( which I read to mean anybody
>     anywhere ).
>
>     This will enter UK law.
>
>     Direct Action is the only solution. More crypto, tor hidden services,
>     https everywhere, data decetralisation.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Alan Dawson

- --
Charlie Harvey
IT Director
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 403249
f: +44 (0)1865 403346
w: http://newint.org/
k: http://ox4.li/gpgkey/

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239.

New Internationalist, Old Music Hall, 106-108 Cowley Rd.,
Oxford, OX4 1JE, UK